* put me at the bottom of the *Summary* buffer upon entrance, not the top, if there are no new messages
@ 2010-11-17 10:06 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-11-17 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Gentlemen(99%), there is a behavior upon entering the Summary buffer:
If there are any new messages, the cursor is placed on them,
else the cursor is placed at the top. I want it placed at the bottom in
that case, but (info "(gnus) Various Summary Stuff") doesn't say how,
nor does (info "(gnus) Summary Maneuvering").

* Re: put me at the bottom of the *Summary* buffer upon entrance, not the top, if there are no new messages
@ 2010-11-17 12:21 ` Øyvind Stegard
From: Øyvind Stegard @ 2010-11-17 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> Gentlemen(99%), there is a behavior upon entering the Summary buffer:
> If there are any new messages, the cursor is placed on them,
> else the cursor is placed at the top. I want it placed at the bottom in
> that case, but (info "(gnus) Various Summary Stuff") doesn't say how,
> nor does (info "(gnus) Summary Maneuvering").

I put this in my ~/.gnus to get behaviour somewhat like you describe:

;; Set point on latest (possibly old) article, if entering summary
;; buffer and there are no new unseen/unread articles, otherwise goto
;; first unseen or unread. [For hints, see gnus-sum.el.]
(setq gnus-auto-select-subject
      (lambda()
        (if (and (not gnus-newsgroup-unreads)
                 (not (null gnus-newsgroup-data)))
            (progn
              (goto-char (gnus-data-pos (car (last gnus-newsgroup-data))))
              (gnus-summary-position-point))
          (gnus-summary-first-unseen-or-unread-subject))))

(using Gnus 5.13 bundled with Emacs 23.2.1)

Regards,
Øyvind
--
< Øyvind Stegard
 < http://stegard.net/

* Re: put me at the bottom of the *Summary* buffer upon entrance, not the top, if there are no new messages
@ 2011-03-08  4:42   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-03-08  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oyvind.stegard; +Cc: ding

Thanks, but your function didn't work for me.

By the way,
  gnus-auto-select-subject is a variable defined in `gnus-sum.el'.
  This variable can either be the symbols `first' (place point on the
  first subject), `unread' (place point on the subject line of the first
  unread article), `best' (place point on the subject line of the
  higest-scored article), `unseen' (place point on the subject line of
  the first unseen article), `unseen-or-unread' (place point on the subject
  line of the first unseen article or, if all articles have been seen, on the
  subject line of the first unread article), or a function to be called to
  place point on some subject line.

This is clearly lacking 'last'.

And what I want most 'unseen-or-unread-or-last'!

It would be great if these were built in choices.

* Re: put me at the bottom of the *Summary* buffer upon entrance, not the top, if there are no new messages
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> This is clearly lacking 'last'.
>
> And what I want most 'unseen-or-unread-or-last'!

It doesn't really sound very useful.  `M->' will take you there...

* Re: put me at the bottom of the *Summary* buffer upon entrance, not the top, if there are no new messages
@ 2011-03-15 20:11       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-03-15 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

LMI> jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

>> This is clearly lacking 'last'.
>>
>> And what I want most 'unseen-or-unread-or-last'!

LMI> It doesn't really sound very useful.  `M->' will take you there...

On each group, on every day, for the rest of ones life.

* Re: put me at the bottom of the *Summary* buffer upon entrance, not the top, if there are no new messages
@ 2011-03-15 20:15         ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-03-15 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

15/03/11 21:11, jidanni@jidanni.org
> LMI> jidanni@jidanni.org writes:
>
>>> This is clearly lacking 'last'.
>>>
>>> And what I want most 'unseen-or-unread-or-last'!
>
> LMI> It doesn't really sound very useful.  `M->' will take you there...
>
> On each group, on every day, for the rest of ones life.

Just code it. If it's a feature only you will use, you can't reasonably
ask the gnus developers to do your coding for you ;)

* Re: put me at the bottom of the *Summary* buffer upon entrance, not the top, if there are no new messages
@ 2011-03-15 20:54           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-15 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 21:15:49 +0100 Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> wrote:

AL> 15/03/11 21:11, jidanni@jidanni.org

LMI> It doesn't really sound very useful.  `M->' will take you there...
>>
>> On each group, on every day, for the rest of ones life.

AL> Just code it. If it's a feature only you will use, you can't reasonably
AL> ask the gnus developers to do your coding for you ;)

(Dan, you *can* code it.  There's a hook for when you enter a buffer.)

Ted