* Fwd: Alibris News Volume 2, Issue 4
@ 2000-05-02 14:42 Michael Harnois
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Michael Harnois @ 2000-05-02 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone suggest why this message doesn't display as HTML?

Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 07:10:16 -0700
From: "Alibris News" <alibris@c4.mycampaign.com>
Subject: Alibris News Volume 2, Issue 4
To: mdharnois@home.com

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2332 bytes --]

A L I B R I S  N E W S

Volume 2, Issue 4

May 2000

* MAKE AN IMPRESSION WITH GIFTS FOR MOM?

* SPRING INTO LITERARY GARDENING

* CREATIVE ROUTES TO SUCCESSFUL COLLECTING

************MAKE AN IMPRESSION WITH GIFTS FOR MOM?************

You may think you're all she needs, but this year give your special mom lasting flowers-a collection of sentimental letters or a vicarious trip to the south of France. Writers like Erma Bombeck, Anne Lamott, and Louise Erdrich share their insights into the joys and tribulations of motherhood. Find that unique gift to tell your mother just how special she is, in our feature dedicated to Mom.

http://rsp.rsvp0.net/servlet/click?HspIkplDZEtKoHkghplFohtLDJhtE0Etht

****************SPRING INTO LITERARY GARDENING****************

Interested in exploring landscape design with Edith Wharton or learning about plants and gardening from Jamaica Kincaid? You're in luck. To whet your springtime appetite, we're featuring books that tap into our passion for coaxing green vegetation from brown fertile soil. Discover your inner green thumb , or pick up some inspiration for the gardener in your life.

http://rsp.rsvp0.net/servlet/click?HspIkplDZEtKoHkghplFohtLDJhtE0EnHkKLg

***********CREATIVE ROUTES TO SUCCESSFUL COLLECTING***********

Join book expert Roger Gozdecki as he explains the details of collecting in this eight-part series. Whether you're a beginning collector or a lifelong bibliophile, Roger will enlighten you with his insights. Read the first article in the series, Creative Routes to Successful Collecting.

http://rsp.rsvp0.net/servlet/click?HspIkplDZEtKoHkghplFohtLDJhtE0EJhssLJm

You receive this newsletter because you asked Alibris to send you newsletters and special offers. If you do not want to receive future newsletters and offers from Alibris, please unsubscribe using the link at the bottom of this e-mail.

The Alibris newsletter is produced by Alibris at 1250 45th Street, Emeryville, CA 94608. To reach Customer Service, send e-mail to custserv@alibris.com.
This message was sent by Alibris.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail from Alibris:
    http://rsp.rsvp0.net/servlet/optout?HspIkplDZEtKoHkghplFohtLDJht

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 7226 bytes --]

-------------------- End of forwarded message --------------------

--
Michael D. Harnois, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Washburn, IA
mdharnois@home.com                      aa0bt@aa0bt.ampr.org

* Re: Fwd: Alibris News Volume 2, Issue 4
@ 2000-05-02 14:53 ` Simon Josefsson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-05-02 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Michael Harnois <mdharnois@home.com> writes:

> Can anyone suggest why this message doesn't display as HTML?

No "MIME-Version:" header as far as I could see. (Nor any C-T for that
matter.)

* Re: Fwd: Alibris News Volume 2, Issue 4
@ 2000-05-02 15:02 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-05-02 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Harnois <mdharnois@home.com> writes:
> Can anyone suggest why this message doesn't display as HTML?

Well, for me, it did.

* Re: Fwd: Alibris News Volume 2, Issue 4
@ 2000-05-02 15:32 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 2000-05-02 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Harnois writes:

> Can anyone suggest why this message doesn't display as HTML?

Because the message didn't have a MIME header.

--
Colin

* Re: Fwd: Alibris News Volume 2, Issue 4
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-05-02 17:12 ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 2000-05-02 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael> Michael Harnois <URL:mailto:mdharnois@home.com>

0> In article <87u2ghko91.fsf@mharnois.workgroup.net>, Michael wrote:

Michael> [1. text/plain]
Michael>
Michael> Can anyone suggest why this message doesn't display as HTML?
Michael>
Michael> -------------------- Start of forwarded message --------------------
Michael> X-From-Line: alibris@c4.mycampaign.com  Tue May  2 09:10:31 2000
Michael> Return-Path: <alibris@c4.mycampaign.com>
Michael> Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
Michael>    ([snip -tms])
Michael> Received: from r2-om5.rsvp0.net ([10.10.10.57]) by r2-om5.rsvp0.net
Michael>    Tue, 2 May 2000 07:10:16 -0700
Michael> Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 07:10:16 -0700
Michael> X-cid: alibris.6
Michael> From: "Alibris News" <alibris@c4.mycampaign.com>
Michael> Reply-To: "Alibris News" <newshound@alibris.com>
Michael> Subject: Alibris News Volume 2, Issue 4
Michael> To: mdharnois@home.com
Michael> Message-ID: <0f17d1610140250R2-OM5@r2-om5.rsvp0.net>
Michael>
Michael>
Michael> [2.  (*) text/plain          ( ) text/html ]
Michael>
Michael> A L I B R I S  N E W S

It looks like you've garbled the article (splitting it into bits)
in the forwarding process, so it's hard to tell what was wrong with
the original.  Try forwarding us the entire original message as a
message/rfc822 part.

The usual suspect for supposedly-HTML mails appearing as plain text is
a lack of the correct labelling (MIME-Version or Content-Type), either
missing at source or stripped by some gateway or list mangler.

* Re: Fwd: Alibris News Volume 2, Issue 4
@ 2000-05-02 19:06   ` Michael Harnois
From: Michael Harnois @ 2000-05-02 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02 May 2000 11:02:41 -0400, Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> said:

    > Well, for me, it did.

Ah. This is the most interesting response. Would you mind sending me
the pertinent parts of your .gnus and/or .emacs so I can see what
might be different?

--
Michael D. Harnois, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Washburn, IA
mdharnois@home.com                      aa0bt@aa0bt.ampr.org
 Most lies succeed because no one goes through the work
 to figure out how to catch them. -- Paul Ekman

* Re: Fwd: Alibris News Volume 2, Issue 4
@ 2000-05-02 19:11   ` Michael Harnois
From: Michael Harnois @ 2000-05-02 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02 May 2000 18:12:08 +0100, Toby Speight <streapadair@gmx.net> said:

    > Try forwarding us the entire original message as a
    > message/rfc822 part.

[-- Attachment #2: html_mail --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 12770 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2332 bytes --]

[...]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 7343 bytes --]

Michael D. Harnois, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Washburn, IA
mdharnois@home.com                      aa0bt@aa0bt.ampr.org
 Most lies succeed because no one goes through the work
 to figure out how to catch them. -- Paul Ekman

* Problem with (mixed (alternative (plain) (html))) message (was: ...)
@ 2000-05-03 10:40     ` Toby Speight
From: Toby Speight @ 2000-05-03 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

0> In article <87hfcglqbk.fsf@mharnois.workgroup.net>, Michael wrote:

Michael> On 02 May 2000 18:12:08 +0100, Toby Speight <streapadair@gmx.net>
Michael> said:

>> Try forwarding us the entire original message as a message/rfc822
>> part.

Michael> [2. html_mail --- message/rfc822; 26507]...

Hmm.  That all seemed okay to me[1], allowing for the fact I've set my
Gnus to prefer plain text to HTML.  If I select the text/html button
of the Alternative, I get the HTML drawn properly.  So your problem
must be either a regression in Gnus or a difference in our setups.

[1] with gnus-version = "Pterodactyl Gnus v0.95"

Here's what I get when I do C-d on your message above:

> Q  [                    : 0   ] <* mixed> Re: Fwd: Alibris News Volume 2
> Q   [                    : 0   ]
>   +  [ Michael Harnois    : 315 ]
>   +   [ Michael Harnois    : 4   ] <1 text>
>   +   [ Michael Harnois    : 290 ] <2 rfc822>
>   +    [ Alibris News       : 255 ] <2.* mixed> Alibris News Volume 2
>   +     [ Alibris News       : 247 ] <2.1.* alternative>
>   +      [ Alibris News       : 51  ] <2.1.1 text>
>   +      [ Alibris News       : 182 ] <2.1.2 html>
>   +   [ Michael Harnois    : 6   ] <3 text>

(I've trimmed the subject for line length reasons).  I can select any
of these parts and get the expected result.

A bug/feature report with this, though: citation highlighting is
applied to the text/html part after it's drawn by W3, stomping all
over the faces.  So I no longer know what's a hyperlink, for example.
Shouldn't citation and emphasis highlighting be applied as part of the
text/plain renderer instead?  (That would also speed rendering of
messages with huge binary attachments)

* Re: Problem with (mixed (alternative (plain) (html))) message (was: ...)
@ 2000-05-03 12:36       ` Michael Harnois
From: Michael Harnois @ 2000-05-03 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03 May 2000 11:40:33 +0100, Toby Speight <streapadair@gmx.net> said:

    > If I select the text/html button of the Alternative, I get the
    > HTML drawn properly.

And I don't. How bizarre, how bizarre.

--
Michael D. Harnois, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Washburn, IA
mdharnois@home.com                      aa0bt@aa0bt.ampr.org
 "Waiter, there's no fly in my soup!" - Kermit the Frog

* Re: Problem with (mixed (alternative (plain) (html))) message (was: ...)
@ 2000-05-04 10:15         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-04 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Harnois <mdharnois@home.com> writes:

> On 03 May 2000 11:40:33 +0100, Toby Speight <streapadair@gmx.net> said:
>
>     > If I select the text/html button of the Alternative, I get the
>     > HTML drawn properly.
>
> And I don't. How bizarre, how bizarre.

Well, have you tried `K b' to get the multipart/alternative buttons?

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.