* problems with smime and gpgsm
@ 2012-12-15 20:02 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2012-12-15 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

I have used for years pgp to sign and encrypt mail, but I am
faced with the fact that most people prefer smime, since it
is easier to set up. Since I have not experience with smime
I started with seamonkey/thunderbird and the two gmail
accounts I have.

    -  I applied for a ssl certificate from
       http://www.comodo.com/
       one for user1@gmail.com
       the other for user2@gmail.com. Set up seamonkey and

    -  I then send a signed message from user1 to
       user2. And from user2 to user1. Since a signature
       contains the openkey, I am ready to go and it worked
       with seamonkey.

    -  Now with gnus, I read

       http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSMIME, but also
       http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/67386
       and had the feeling it is better to use gpgsm instead
       of openssl[1]
       So I exported (backed up) my certificate of
       user1@gmail.com to a p12 file and  imported it via

  gpgsm --import

       Which worked nicely. So far so good.

       I sent with seamonkey a mail from user1@gmail.com to
       user1@gmail.com
       encrypted and signed it.

    -  Now I used to gnu to read this mail via nnimap, and I
       could decrypt and check the signature.

    -  *However* when I tried to reply and to encrypt and
       sign the new message, gnus refused.
       The gnupg-agent saves everything into $HOME/.gnupg so
       shall I set the CA and the cert directory-variables

       smime-certificate-directory
       to this directory????

    -  Also *important*: if I receive a signed message from
       another user how can I extract his key from the
       signature?? In http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSMIME
       there is a function but it does not work for me I
       only see the tag

[[S/MIME Signed Part:Good signature from
2D23D0109880A019E3164F37A3404EFC75E655A5
/EMail=oub.oub.oub@gmail.com (trust undefined)]]

 In the message and when applying the extract function I
 obtain No valid S/MIME signed message found.

Well I have also directory
/home/oub/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d which contains two keys,
but I don't know how to use them with gnus.

If somebody can point me out some manual or clarifying
something I would be really grateful.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:
[1]  the setup looked also easier.

* Re: problems with smime and gpgsm
@ 2012-12-15 21:54 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2012-12-15 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I forgot to add the error I obtain when trying to encrypt
(or sign) is
Encrypt failed: ((invalid-recipient (reason . 10)
(requested-recipient . "A3404EFC75E655A5")))

Reason 10 means untrusted cert/key.

I don't know how to flag my keys as trusted or tell epg
to encrypt or sign anyhow.