* prefetching HTML resources
@ 2010-12-08  7:12 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-12-08  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I use gwene for reading RSS through NNTP, and it can be pretty
excruciatingly slow to render the HTML in the articles, mostly it seems
because external resources (images, etc) aren't fetched until the
article is opened. Perhaps my internet connection is particularly slow,
I don't know.

Article prefetching doesn't seem to apply, since that would only bring
in the body of the article, and the external resources aren't fetched
until the rendering process (or am I wrong about that?). Is there
anything I can do to have those resources prefetched? I'm not
particularly worried about bandwidth or whatnot, I'm likely to scan
nearly every item, however briefly…

Thanks!
Eric

* Re: prefetching HTML resources
@ 2010-12-08 19:38 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-08 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Article prefetching doesn't seem to apply, since that would only bring
> in the body of the article, and the external resources aren't fetched
> until the rendering process (or am I wrong about that?).

The article prefetch should also automatically prefetch images.
Say `M-x debug-on-entry RET gnus-html-prefetch-images RET'.  If it's not
being called, then there's something wrong somewhere...

* Re: prefetching HTML resources
@ 2010-12-09  0:42   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-12-09  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Dec 09 2010, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>> Article prefetching doesn't seem to apply, since that would only bring
>> in the body of the article, and the external resources aren't fetched
>> until the rendering process (or am I wrong about that?).
>
> The article prefetch should also automatically prefetch images.
> Say `M-x debug-on-entry RET gnus-html-prefetch-images RET'.  If it's not
> being called, then there's something wrong somewhere...

My apologies, I hadn't understood that the pre-fetching happens when you
enter a group, not when fetching new news, and misinterpreted the
avalanch of requests. Sorry for the noise…