* display parameter
@ 2010-09-29  9:36 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2010-09-29  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

When I type RET or SPC on a group in the Group buffer, it enters the
Summary buffer of the group and displays both unread and ticked articles
by default.  I would like to have only unread articles displayed on
entering the Summary buffer.  If I understand the manual, that's what
the display parameter does:

     Elements that look like `(display . MODE)' say which articles to
     display on entering the group.  Valid values are:
     [...]
    `an array'
          Display articles that satisfy a predicate.

          Here are some examples:

         `[unread]'
               Display only unread articles.

But when I set this (either with `G P' or with `G C'), the effect is not
what I expect.  For instance, currently there are four unread articles
in my gnus.emacs.bugs group.  With the default settings, both these
articles and the ticked articles are displayed.  With ((display
. [unread])) as the value of the group parameters, typing RET or SPC
gives me the prompt "How many articles from gmane.emacs.bugs (default
40536): ".  If I hit RET, then after several minutes of Emacs consuming
~90% CPU, I finally get the Summary buffer -- displaying both the four
unread articles as well as all my ticked articles, and nothing else.  If
at the prompt I enter a number less than 35, only the four unread
articles are displayed.  Entering a higher number results in ticked
articles also being displayed (only one for 35-50, with 100 four ticked
articles are displayed).  So is the display parameter borked or am I
doing something wrong, and if so, how do I get the behavior I want (only
unread articles displayed)?  This is with Gnus from GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1
(i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.6) of 2010-09-28.

Steve Berman

* Re: display parameter
@ 2010-09-29 14:11 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-29 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:

> When I type RET or SPC on a group in the Group buffer, it enters the
> Summary buffer of the group and displays both unread and ticked articles
> by default.  I would like to have only unread articles displayed on
> entering the Summary buffer.

The only difference between ticked and dormant articles is that the
latter aren't displayed, so why don't you just make the articles dormant
instead of ticked?

* Re: display parameter
@ 2010-09-29 15:29   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2010-09-29 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:11:45 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> When I type RET or SPC on a group in the Group buffer, it enters the
>> Summary buffer of the group and displays both unread and ticked articles
>> by default.  I would like to have only unread articles displayed on
>> entering the Summary buffer.
>
> The only difference between ticked and dormant articles is that the
> latter aren't displayed, so why don't you just make the articles dormant
> instead of ticked?

Thanks, that seems to DTRT for me.  (Still wonder what's up with the
display parameter, or with my attempt to use it....)

Steve Berman