* Re: Loosing mails by merging
       [not found] <87ocmyrw3a.fsf@an-dro.enstb.org>
@ 2009-11-21 19:38 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-11-21 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, Ronan Keryell; +Cc: bugs

On Thu, Nov 19 2009, Ronan Keryell wrote:

> Gnus v5.13
> GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
>  of 2009-11-02 on excelsior, modified by Debian
> 200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.1 ready (posting ok).
>
> I guess I regularly loose some mails because of a wrong parsing of my
> mbox file that make them to be merged in a previous SPAM for example. :-(
>
> I've put an example with the 2 first mails of my GNUS mbox backup file
> ~/Mail/Incoming4562Z0v in http://enstb.org/~keryell/GNUS-bug.mbox
>
> The summary buffer displays:
>  . [ 221: Zapadlo                ] <* mixed> XXXX
>  .     [  32: Zapadlo                ] <1 text>
>  .     [  51: Zapadlo                ] <2 rfc822>
>  .         [  29: Zapadlo                ] <2 text> XXXX
>
> What we should have instead is something like that:
> Zapadlo                             XXXX
> Otis Saunders                       Wang up!

You're talking about doing something like `G f GNUS-bug.mbox RET'
(gnus-group-make-doc-group), right?

Use `C-u G f m GNUS-bug.mbox RET' instead.

When catting your sample file to $MAIL, I get the expected result.

> In the full mbox file, it makes me 185 mails to disappear. :-(
>
> Any idea how to eradicate this mixing up?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Loosing mails by merging
@ 2009-11-24 17:50   ` Ronan Keryell
From: Ronan Keryell @ 2009-11-24 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner.Steib; +Cc: ding, bugs

    Reiner> You're talking about doing something like `G f GNUS-bug.mbox
    Reiner> RET' (gnus-group-make-doc-group), right?

Not only.

    Reiner> Use `C-u G f m GNUS-bug.mbox RET' instead.

    Reiner> When catting your sample file to $MAIL, I get the expected
    Reiner> result.

Yes, with this I can read my mail correctly as a mbox format.

So the good news is that GNUS can do it. :-)

The bad news is that means that G f does not guess the good format.

The very bad news for me is that I have this issue on my normal mail,
not only file group.

I get my mail with some:
(setq mail-sources '(
		     ;; Pick mail in the local mail repository,
		     ;; if mail is lost here or droped by other means...
		     (file)
		     ;; get some remote mail in the local mail repository:
		     (file :prescript "fdm -l -v fetch")
		     ;; Pick mail in the central mail repository:
		     (file :prescript "ssh info bin/recup_mail --fetch >%t"
			   ;; Once it is read by Gnus we can archive it on the server side:
			   :postscript "ssh info bin/recup_mail --archive")
 		     ))

So basically almost everything lands into my /var/mail/keryell and is
digested by Gnus. But then this bug means that it is not read with the
correct mbox format?

I've read again the "Mail Source Specifiers" section and around of the
manual and there is no way to enforce the format as being a mbox one...

Same for the customization menu...
--
  Ronan KERYELL                      |\/  Tel:    (+33|0) 970 440 832
  HPC Project                        |/)  GSM:    (+33|0) 6 13 14 37 66

* Re: Loosing mails by merging
@ 2009-11-25 22:01     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-11-25 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronan Keryell; +Cc: ding, bugs

On Tue, Nov 24 2009, Ronan Keryell wrote:

>     Reiner> You're talking about doing something like `G f GNUS-bug.mbox
>     Reiner> RET' (gnus-group-make-doc-group), right?
>
> Not only.
>
>     Reiner> Use `C-u G f m GNUS-bug.mbox RET' instead.
>
>     Reiner> When catting your sample file to $MAIL, I get the expected
>     Reiner> result.
>
> Yes, with this I can read my mail correctly as a mbox format.
>
> So the good news is that GNUS can do it. :-)
>
> The bad news is that means that G f does not guess the good format.

That's a known problem because it not possible to do it correct in any
case, IIRC.

> The very bad news for me is that I have this issue on my normal mail,
> not only file group.

If you cat your sample file to $MAIL, say ...

  cat GNUS-bug.mbox >> /var/mail/you

... do you get 2 messages or 1 after `g'?

I get 2 as expected.

> I get my mail with some:
> (setq mail-sources '(
> 		     ;; Pick mail in the local mail repository,
> 		     ;; if mail is lost here or droped by other means...
> 		     (file)

Try with a simple setup like ...

  (setq mail-sources '((file)))

... first.

> 		     ;; get some remote mail in the local mail repository:
> 		     (file :prescript "fdm -l -v fetch")
> 		     ;; Pick mail in the central mail repository:
> 		     (file :prescript "ssh info bin/recup_mail --fetch >%t"
> 			   :postscript "ssh info bin/recup_mail --archive")
>  		     ))
>
> So basically almost everything lands into my /var/mail/keryell and is
> digested by Gnus. But then this bug means that it is not read with the
> correct mbox format?
>
> I've read again the "Mail Source Specifiers" section and around of the
> manual and there is no way to enforce the format as being a mbox one...

It should work by default.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,