From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: View docx/doc documents from Gnus in Docview
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 14:43:15 -0700	[thread overview]

Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:

>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> How can I make that I can view doc/docx document from the article
>>> buffer
>>> in Docview?
>>> Opening them from dired already works,
>>
>> This is probably what you want. Use the prefix argument to select a
>> part.
>>
>> K e runs the command gnus-article-view-part-externally (found in
>> gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an autoloaded interactive
>> byte-compiled Lisp function in ‘gnus-art.el’.
>>
>> It is bound to K e.
>>
>> (gnus-article-view-part-externally N)
>>
>> View MIME part N externally, which is the numerical prefix.
>
> I tried to select that option from the graphic menu when I select the
> docx attachment by clicking on it with mouse.
> However the only option it offers is to safe the attachment.
> What does externally mean, externally of Gnus or externally of Emacs?

It opens the file externally if it can find an external program to use,
otherwise it saves the file. Unfortunately the mm-* and mailcap-* stuff
is so perfectly impenetrable I don't think anyone has ever been able to
figure it out. I eventually did this to force Gnus to open absolutely
everything in `xdg-open`, no matter via which channel:

(setq mailcap-mime-data
  '(("application" (".*" (viewer . "xdg-open %s")))))

Then I had to install mimeo and xdg-utils-mimeo because xdg-open itself
is a horrible rat's maze. Then I had to uninstall Chromium because no
matter what it insisted on opening all image/* files.

That was one of those times I came very close to setting my computer on
fire and becoming a Franciscan friar.

Eric