From: Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net>
To: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: 'g' on Topic line in group buffer gives error
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 10:35:49 -1000	[thread overview]

Ah, I should have thought of the error trace, and it turns out this *is*
my convoluted setup.

I had added :after advice to 'gnus-summary-update-info. The noble
purpose of this was to mark everything as read in RSS and similar groups
to expedite expiration, and for my inbox, to count unread messages and
store the count to work in conjunction with my versions of biffer and
biff barks.

But I should know by now that advising functions can have unintended
consequences. Normally I find them and fix them but this one eluded
me--- until now.

Perhaps it's feeble but I offer the excuse that gnus is --- ahem --- a
bit complex. I've always been able to get it to do everything I want,
and at the same time a number of things that I don't want.

Thanks so much for the assistance,

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i