* Agent not fetching headers in some groups
@ 2003-04-01 20:43 Jaakko Kangasharju
From: Jaakko Kangasharju @ 2003-04-01 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have had a problem with agent not fetching headers automatically for
some groups for some time now.  It is not more than a minor annoyance,
but it would be nice to fix it somehow.

The problem is that when running 'J s' right after starting Gnus, it
skips some groups, i.e. does not download headers or articles.  But if
I enter these groups in plugged mode, so that it fetches the headers,
then after that 'J s' fetches the articles for those groups also.  I
have checked to the limit of my abilities the various files that the
agent generates and I cannot see anything different compared to
normally working groups.

If I run gnus-agent-regenerate in unplugged mode and right after press
'g', the article counts of these groups are all screwy, as if Gnus
thought all the articles in these groups are unread.  And entering any
of these groups right after (still unplugged) shows a summary buffer
with the indicated number of "Undownloaded article"s.

--
Jaakko Kangasharju
Warner Books classifies The Far Side as non-fiction.  Creepy.

* Re: Agent not fetching headers in some groups
@ 2003-04-03  2:57 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-04-03  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jaakko Kangasharju <ashar@iki.fi> writes:

> I have had a problem with agent not fetching headers automatically for
> some groups for some time now.  It is not more than a minor annoyance,
> but it would be nice to fix it somehow.

What version of Oort are you using?

> The problem is that when running 'J s' right after starting Gnus, it
> skips some groups, i.e. does not download headers or articles.

Just checking but have you agentized the group's server?  Type '^' in
the group buffer to open the server buffer.  Do you see '(agent)' next
to the server?  If you don't, place point on the same line then type
'J a q'.

>  But if
> I enter these groups in plugged mode, so that it fetches the headers,
> then after that 'J s' fetches the articles for those groups also.  I
> have checked to the limit of my abilities the various files that the
> agent generates and I cannot see anything different compared to
> normally working groups.

Strange.  One other user recently range into trouble by calling
(gnus-agentize) in the beginning of his config file rather than the
end.  Make sure that everything has been configured first.

> If I run gnus-agent-regenerate in unplugged mode and right after press
> 'g', the article counts of these groups are all screwy, as if Gnus
> thought all the articles in these groups are unread.  And entering any
> of these groups right after (still unplugged) shows a summary buffer
> with the indicated number of "Undownloaded article"s.

Kevin

* Re: Agent not fetching headers in some groups
@ 2003-04-04 14:56   ` Jaakko Kangasharju
From: Jaakko Kangasharju @ 2003-04-04 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> What version of Oort are you using?

Currently 0.16.  This problem first appeared with an earlier version
(can't remember exactly which), though.

> Just checking but have you agentized the group's server?  Type '^' in
> the group buffer to open the server buffer.  Do you see '(agent)' next
> to the server?  If you don't, place point on the same line then type
> 'J a q'.

Right, again forgetting to mention something essential...

Yes, the server is agentized.  There are also other groups on that
server and they work just fine.

> Strange.  One other user recently range into trouble by calling
> (gnus-agentize) in the beginning of his config file rather than the
> end.  Make sure that everything has been configured first.

(gnus-agentize) is the last line of my .gnus.el.

>> If I run gnus-agent-regenerate in unplugged mode and right after press
>> 'g', the article counts of these groups are all screwy, as if Gnus
>> thought all the articles in these groups are unread.  And entering any
>> of these groups right after (still unplugged) shows a summary buffer
>> with the indicated number of "Undownloaded article"s.

This is getting weird.  I ran this, and one of the groups showed the
proper number (not anything huge, but something reasonable) of
articles, and now the headers (and articles) for it are downloaded
with the normal batch.  The other three groups are still exhibiting
the problem; rerunning gnus-agent-regenerate does not help.

--
Jaakko Kangasharju
MS -- It's not a software company