* Re: Display all messages, including read ones
       [not found] <18763.5332507611$1708185440@news.gmane.org>
@ 2024-02-17 17:33 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2024-02-17 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Husain Alshehhi <husain@alshehhi.io> writes:

> Hello,
>
> When there is an unread message in a long thread, the group buffer will
> indicate that there is an unread message. When I press <ENTER> to visit
> that group, the cursor will show that message. But often, in a long
> thread, gnus will not show the whole thread, even thoug the parameters
>
>     (display . all)
>
> is configured on the group: only the root, and the last few messages
> appear. Even when pressing "A T" (gnus-summary-refer-thread) I still do
> not get some of the old, unexpired read messages. They do not show up
> even when I visit the root and press "T s" (gnus-summary-show-thread) I
> still do not get the thread.
>
> What I expected was that I would be able to see all the message in the
> thread when I visit the unread message.
>
> However, if in the group buffer I press C-u <ENTER> (which prompts me to
> enter the number of messages to display), only then I see all the
> messages in thread, which also includes expired ones.
>
> I am not clear why gnus behaves this way. It would be great if someone
> can help me root cause this issue. Possibly relevant configs I have:
>
>     gnus-show-threads: t
>     gnus-refer-thread-limit: 500

This last option does what it says, so if your threads are longer than
this, "A T" will not show you all the messages. "T s" only reveals
messages that happen to be hidden for some reason, it won't load
messages that aren't already present in the Summary buffer, so that same
thread limit will stay in effect.

The only weird one is (display . all), which I would have assumed would
load all messages, like it says.

* Re: Display all messages, including read ones
@ 2024-02-17 18:42   ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2024-02-17 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Feb 17, 2024, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

> The only weird one is (display . all), which I would have assumed would
> load all messages, like it says.

I think the display predicate only controls which messages are hidden
using the "limiting" feature, not which messages are fetched.  But
`C-u RET' should open the group with all messages fetched.

Dan

* Re: Display all messages, including read ones
@ 2024-02-17 20:15   ` Husain Alshehhi
From: Husain Alshehhi @ 2024-02-17 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> This last option does what it says, so if your threads are longer than
> this, "A T" will not show you all the messages. "T s" only reveals
> messages that happen to be hidden for some reason, it won't load
> messages that aren't already present in the Summary buffer, so that same
> thread limit will stay in effect.

Right. In my case, the threads are < 50 messages. I only see the last 10
or so messages, not the whole thread.

@ 2024-02-17 20:49 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2024-02-17 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Husain Alshehhi; +Cc: ding

Does gnus-fetch-old-headers do what you want?

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: Display all messages, including read ones
@ 2024-02-18  5:14   ` Husain Alshehhi
From: Husain Alshehhi @ 2024-02-18  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Andreas Schwab

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> Does gnus-fetch-old-headers do what you want?

Thanks. I see that gnus-fetch-old-headers is configured to be true. So
it is not the cause.

@ 2024-02-18 23:24 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2024-02-18 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> When there is an unread message in a long thread, the group buffer will
> indicate that there is an unread message. When I press <ENTER> to visit
> that group, the cursor will show that message. But often, in a long
> thread, gnus will not show the whole thread, even thoug the parameters

>     (display . all)

I usually mark articles in threads I'm interested in following as
dormant, uising '?'.

Then the entire thread is shown when a new article arrives.

* Display all messages, including read ones
@ 2024-02-17 15:55 Husain Alshehhi