* unnecessary scanning of nnml groups
@ 2016-09-05 10:29 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2016-09-05 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

When calling gnus-group-get-new-news with gnus-activate-level = 2, then
all my nnml groups with level 7 are scanned too. It takes some time, and
for every group I get this message:

        Reading incoming mail from directory...
        nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done

How could I please prevent this unnecessary scanning of all nnml groups?

TIA for any hints,
--
           Peter

* Re: unnecessary scanning of nnml groups
@ 2016-09-05 23:21 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2016-09-05 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 12:29:31 +0200, Peter Münster wrote:
> When calling gnus-group-get-new-news with gnus-activate-level = 2, then
> all my nnml groups with level 7 are scanned too. It takes some time, and
> for every group I get this message:

>         Reading incoming mail from directory...
>         nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done

I tried setting the group level of my all the nnml groups to 7,
and performing `2 g' without modifying gnus-activate-level, and
`g' with modifying gnus-activate-level to 2, but I saw scanning
those groups didn't happen.  I also looked into the
gnus-get-unread-articles code but couldn't find no odd one.  Hmm.

* Re: unnecessary scanning of nnml groups
@ 2016-09-06  5:17   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2016-09-06  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Sep 06 2016, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> I tried setting the group level of my all the nnml groups to 7,
> and performing `2 g' without modifying gnus-activate-level, and
> `g' with modifying gnus-activate-level to 2, but I saw scanning
> those groups didn't happen.  I also looked into the
> gnus-get-unread-articles code but couldn't find no odd one.  Hmm.

Sorry, I think, that this setting might be important too:

(setq mail-sources '((file) (directory :path "~/.mail")))

--

@ 2016-09-06  6:15     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2016-09-06  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Sep 06 2016, Peter Münster wrote:

> Sorry, I think, that this setting might be important too:
>
> (setq mail-sources '((file) (directory :path "~/.mail")))

And now, I've found the solution:

(setq nnmail-scan-directory-mail-source-once t)

Sorry for the noise,
--
           Peter