* gnus keeps messing up its active file
@ 2011-06-15 23:20 lee
From: lee @ 2011-06-15 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

gnus has just messed up its active file on at least two groups. What might be the
reason for this?

Losing emails is out of the question, so I really need to fix this. I´ve
already moved ~/.newsrc.eld out of the way and regenerated the nnml data
structures several times. Regenerating brings the numbers up to date and
removes expire marks on articles. What else could I do?

* Re: gnus keeps messing up its active file
@ 2011-06-16  6:54 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-06-16  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lee; +Cc: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

Hi!

> gnus has just messed up its active file on at least two groups. What
> might be the reason for this?

I think you need to provide some more configuration details for anyone
(excluding me, who uses only nntp and imap) to give some pointers.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: gnus keeps messing up its active file
@ 2011-06-16  9:12   ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-06-16  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: ding

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
> Hi!
>
>> gnus has just messed up its active file on at least two groups. What
>> might be the reason for this?
>
> I think you need to provide some more configuration details for anyone
> (excluding me, who uses only nntp and imap) to give some pointers.

Yeah, I thought so. I just don´t know exactly what I need to provide, so
I´m attaching my ~/.gnus.el with the splitting rules removed.

I think that the problem started after I was trying to activate the
archiving of all outgoing messages, yet I haven´t been able to prove
that. I have disabled the archiving and tried to remove all traces of it
by moving ~/Mail/archive out of the way and removing the entry for the
mail.archive.all.outgoing group from ~/Mail/active. So far, that seems
to have improved things. Suspecting that the active file isn´t actually
messed up and that for unknown reasons the articles just expire, I´ve
checked for expiry entries in ~/.gnus.el and ~/.newsrc.eld and found
nothing.

Once all the old mail has been transfered, I´ll make a copy of
everything and use that for testing purposes. It seems to be a very good
idea to try out changes on a copy ...

As you can see in the attached gnus.el, I have also tried to get nndiary
to work. It doesn´t do anything, though. Diary messages are ignored,
there´s no dairy entry in the server view, no diary group in the group
view, and ~/Mail/mail/nndiary/ doesn´t exist. I´ve verified that diary
messages I´m sending myself are delivered correctly into ~/.nndiary. So
far, the only thing I´ve found is that there´s perhaps a bug in the
documentation, see <v9mz0lu49a.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de> and the
following thread from March 2007 in the gmane.emacs.gnus.general
newsgroup. I´ll read up about nndiary some more ...

[-- Attachment #2: my ~/.gnus.el --]

* Re: gnus keeps messing up its active file
@ 2011-06-16 12:41     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-06-16 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lee; +Cc: ding

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

Hi!

> (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers "some")

That should be 'some the symbol, not the string.

> (setq gnus-read-active-file "some")

Ditto, 'some.  And that's the default value anyway, so you may want to
remove it.

Not sure if that is the culprit, but who knows...

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: gnus keeps messing up its active file
@ 2011-06-16 14:20       ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-06-16 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: ding

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
> Hi!
>
>> (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers "some")
>
> That should be 'some the symbol, not the string.
>
>> (setq gnus-read-active-file "some")
>
> Ditto, 'some.  And that's the default value anyway, so you may want to
> remove it.

Ah, thanks, I´ve changed it to 'some.

> Not sure if that is the culprit, but who knows...

Up to now, it seems ok since I removed all the references to the
archive. Time will tell. Yet I really want to use the archive feature;
I´ll have to try that out on a copy once I can make one.