* html mail problem
@ 2011-05-20 12:04 George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2011-05-20 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi--

I'm having some difficulty being very precise, but after a "git pull" of
gnus this week, I am now getting

  mm-get-part: Wrong type argument: bufferp, "text/html"

when viewing (some) html mail. (I'm reasonably certain this behavior is
new as of the recent update).

I tried (setq debug-on-error t) and didn't get a backtrace (sorry for
being lisp-illiterate). So I'm not sure how to be more detailed...
suggestions appreciated.

(I seem to be able to *see* the mail, I just see the error message in
the minibuffer).

-george

--
George McNinch <gmcninch(at)gmail.com>
http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu

* org-contacts, gnus-article-prepare-hook, and diary-from-outlook-gnus
@ 2011-05-22 11:41 ` George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2011-05-22 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

Last week I wrote

    G> Hi-- I'm having some difficulty being very precise, but after a
    G> "git pull" of gnus this week, I am now getting

    G>   mm-get-part: Wrong type argument: bufferp, "text/html"

    G> when viewing (some) html mail. (I'm reasonably certain this
    G> behavior is new as of the recent update).

Well, the trouble I was having in fact was unrelated to the recent gnus
update, and is only somewhat (?) related to the subject of this post,
but I thought I'd make this report.

It seems that somehow "org-contacts-gnus-store-last-mail" quit working a
few weeks ago; I finally investigated and it works again after I used
cutsomize to add that function to gnus-article-prepare-hook.

---
So here is the first question of this post: is that the intended
behavior? (i.e. should I have had to manually add this org-contacts
function to gnus-article-prepare-hook?)
---

While fiddling with gnus-article-prepare-hook, it seems that I was bored
or something. Anyhow, a function named diary-from-outlook-gnus (in
diary-lib.el) seems to have suggested itself via

(custom-add-option 'gnus-article-prepare-hook 'diary-from-outlook-gnus)

and I seem to have clicked it ("sure, why not, I wonder how well that
works", I must have thought to myself).

Then I forgot about it.

Anyhow, that diary-from-outlook-gnus function was causing the above
"Wrong type argument:.."  in mm-get-part.

So I've now removed this function from gnus-article-prepare-hook, and
all is well with me.  But maybe the issue should be reported to the
diary maintainer?  [Probably not, with development gnus...] Anyhow, I
thought I'd report the issue.

Best,
george

--
George McNinch <gmcninch (at) gmail.com>
http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu

* Re: org-contacts, gnus-article-prepare-hook, and diary-from-outlook-gnus
@ 2011-05-23  9:17   ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-05-23  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George McNinch; +Cc: ding

On Sun, May 22 2011, George McNinch wrote:

> ---
> So here is the first question of this post: is that the intended
> behavior? (i.e. should I have had to manually add this org-contacts
> function to gnus-article-prepare-hook?)
> ---

Yes, because it seems not everybody use Gnus with org-contacts.
Alternatively, you can call `org-contacts-gnus-insinuate' which does the
job for you.

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: org-contacts, gnus-article-prepare-hook, and diary-from-outlook-gnus
@ 2011-05-23 12:05     ` George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2011-05-23 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    >> --- So here is the first question of this post: is that the
    >> intended behavior? (i.e. should I have had to manually add this
    >> org-contacts function to gnus-article-prepare-hook?)  ---

    JD> Yes, because it seems not everybody use Gnus with org-contacts.
    JD> Alternatively, you can call `org-contacts-gnus-insinuate' which
    JD> does the job for you.

Great - not sure why I didn't notice the "insinuate" function; thanks
Julien.

Best,
gm