* gnus-fetch-field and gnus-fetch-original-field (was: `bbdb-message-header' can not fetch hidden fields in Gnus)
       [not found] ` <19910.60231.151907.922622@gargle.gargle.HOWL>
@ 2011-05-09  7:05   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2011-05-09  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Winkler; +Cc: ding, Leo, bbdb-info

On Sun, May 08 2011, Roland Winkler wrote:

> On Sun May 8 2011 Leo wrote:
>>
>> I am using latest No Gnus from Emacs-24 (trunk). It seems if a header
>> field in Gnus is hidden, bbdb-message-header return nil. I don't know if
>> this is intended.
>>
>> I use the following patch in my local BBDB copy.
>
> I am not a Gnus expert. gnus-fetch-field was used already by BBDB
> v2. Is there someone reading this list who knows the (intended)
> difference between gnus-fetch-field and gnus-fetch-original-field?

[ Cc-ing ding@gnus. ]  I don't know.  The doc strings need
improvement.

> Well, the latter uses the undocumented internal variable
> gnus-original-article-buffer. But what does this mean in real life?

I guess `gnus-original-article-buffer' holds encoded content.  Yes...

  (gnus-fetch-field "From")          -> "... (Peter Münster)"
  (gnus-fetch-original-field "From") -> "... (Peter =?utf-8?Q?M=C3=BCnster?=)"

> Which headers are not available via gnus-fetch-field?

As you might have guessed, this is customizable in Gnus.  See (info
"(gnus)Hiding Headers").

>>  lisp/bbdb-mua.el |    4 ++--
[...]
>>    (let* ((mua (bbdb-mua))
>> -         (val (cond ((eq mua 'gnus) (gnus-fetch-field header))
>> +         (val (cond ((eq mua 'gnus) (gnus-fetch-original-field header))
>>                      ((eq mua 'vm) (bbdb/vm-header header))
>>                      ((eq mua 'rmail) (bbdb/rmail-header header))
>>                      ((eq mua 'mh) (bbdb/mh-header header))

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-fetch-field and gnus-fetch-original-field
@ 2011-05-09 14:55     ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2011-05-09 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: Leo, ding, bbdb-info

On Mon May 9 2011 Reiner Steib wrote:
> > I am not a Gnus expert. gnus-fetch-field was used already by BBDB
> > v2. Is there someone reading this list who knows the (intended)
> > difference between gnus-fetch-field and gnus-fetch-original-field?
>
> [ Cc-ing ding@gnus. ]  I don't know.  The doc strings need
> improvement.
>
> > Well, the latter uses the undocumented internal variable
> > gnus-original-article-buffer. But what does this mean in real life?
>
> I guess `gnus-original-article-buffer' holds encoded content.
> Yes...

Thanks, So it would not make sense if BBDB was using the encoded
headers. If it's guaranteed that headers returned by
gnus-fetch-field are already decoded, it is not even necessary that
bbdb-message-header calls mail-decode-encoded-word-string for these
headers.

> > Which headers are not available via gnus-fetch-field?
>
> As you might have guessed, this is customizable in Gnus.  See (info
> "(gnus)Hiding Headers").

But that's strange: by default, gnus-visible-headers includes the
organization header. Leo started this thread because
gnus-fetch-field did not return it. So what's happening here?

Leo, have you possibly customized the value of this variable?

Roland

* Re: gnus-fetch-field and gnus-fetch-original-field
@ 2011-05-09 16:32       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-05-09 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bbdb-info; +Cc: ding

On 2011-05-09 22:55 +0800, Roland Winkler wrote:
> But that's strange: by default, gnus-visible-headers includes the
> organization header. Leo started this thread because
> gnus-fetch-field did not return it. So what's happening here?
>
> Leo, have you possibly customized the value of this variable?

I should be more specific, I meant (bbdb-message-header "Message-ID")
returns nil in bbdb-mua-update-records.

Leo