* tabbing between links in html posts
@ 2010-12-04  1:45 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-12-04  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm still a bit confused about html rendering, etc. My
mm-html-text-renderer is set to gnus-w3m. I'm used to hitting 'h' to get
into the message and then TAB to move between links, RET to open them in
my external browser. With some messages I find that TAB moves me to an
underscore character in the buffer, where and and all further keystrokes
result in a "buffer is read-only" error, and I can't TAB on to the next
link.

I can't tell what's creating these underscore characters. In the most
recent message that had them, it looked like they might be part of an
html table rendering. That particular message only had an html
component, no plain text. Any hints in this direction?

(probably unrelated oddness — hitting 'C-u g' to display the raw article
resulted in the article being instantly re-rendered, ie I couldn't see
the raw html. Choosing "Raw article (C-u g)" from the menu bar displayed
the raw html correctly).

Thanks!

This is No Gnus from a few days ago, and Emacs 23.2.1.

Eric

* Re: tabbing between links in html posts
@ 2010-12-04 22:30 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-04 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'm still a bit confused about html rendering, etc. My
> mm-html-text-renderer is set to gnus-w3m. I'm used to hitting 'h' to get
> into the message and then TAB to move between links, RET to open them in
> my external browser. With some messages I find that TAB moves me to an
> underscore character in the buffer, where and and all further keystrokes
> result in a "buffer is read-only" error, and I can't TAB on to the next
> link.

Hm.  Are there any publicly available messages that display this
behaviour?

> (probably unrelated oddness — hitting 'C-u g' to display the raw article
> resulted in the article being instantly re-rendered, ie I couldn't see
> the raw html. Choosing "Raw article (C-u g)" from the menu bar displayed
> the raw html correctly).

I'm now switching `C-u g' back to its old behaviour.

* Re: tabbing between links in html posts
@ 2010-12-04 23:30   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-12-04 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Dec 05 2010, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>> I'm still a bit confused about html rendering, etc. My
>> mm-html-text-renderer is set to gnus-w3m. I'm used to hitting 'h' to get
>> into the message and then TAB to move between links, RET to open them in
>> my external browser. With some messages I find that TAB moves me to an
>> underscore character in the buffer, where and and all further keystrokes
>> result in a "buffer is read-only" error, and I can't TAB on to the next
>> link.
>
> Hm.  Are there any publicly available messages that display this
> behaviour?

The most recent one I noticed was an article forwarded to me via the
NYT's "email this article to someone" function. I'm using that function
now to send a message to your larsi@gnus.org address, let me know how
that appears. If it's inconclusive I can probably forward you a lightly
redacted message that produces the same effect.

>> (probably unrelated oddness — hitting 'C-u g' to display the raw article
>> resulted in the article being instantly re-rendered, ie I couldn't see
>> the raw html. Choosing "Raw article (C-u g)" from the menu bar displayed
>> the raw html correctly).
>
> I'm now switching `C-u g' back to its old behaviour.

It wasn't so much the behavior of 'C-u g' that I was noting, but the
fact that the keystroke and the menu item behaved differently…

Thanks,

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-04 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> The most recent one I noticed was an article forwarded to me via the
> NYT's "email this article to someone" function. I'm using that function
> now to send a message to your larsi@gnus.org address, let me know how
> that appears. If it's inconclusive I can probably forward you a lightly
> redacted message that produces the same effect.

Ok; got it and fixed it.

* Re: tabbing between links in html posts
@ 2010-12-06  1:32       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-12-06  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Dec 05 2010, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

>> The most recent one I noticed was an article forwarded to me via the
>> NYT's "email this article to someone" function. I'm using that function
>> now to send a message to your larsi@gnus.org address, let me know how
>> that appears. If it's inconclusive I can probably forward you a lightly
>> redacted message that produces the same effect.
>
> Ok; got it and fixed it.

Thanks very much!