* gmail "imap" how to delete
@ 2012-12-11 21:35 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2012-12-11 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

I have switched using gmail via its imap interface. It is my
understanding that gmail does not really provide imap
support.

So deleting a message means only to remove a label, the
message still continues in [Gmail]/All Mail.

Gmail recommends to move the message into the [Gmail]/Trash
folder.

Does gnus provide any solution?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: gmail "imap" how to delete
@ 2012-12-12  8:56 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2012-12-12  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer writes:

> Hello
>
> I have switched using gmail via its imap interface. It is my
> understanding that gmail does not really provide imap
> support.
>
> So deleting a message means only to remove a label, the
> message still continues in [Gmail]/All Mail.
>
> Gmail recommends to move the message into the [Gmail]/Trash
> folder.
>
> Does gnus provide any solution?

Expire messages to [Gmail]/Trash?

--
Alberto

* Re: gmail "imap" how to delete
@ 2012-12-12 14:04   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2012-12-12 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Alberto" == Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer writes:
   >> Hello

   > Expire messages to [Gmail]/Trash?
But how is this supposed to work?

I use E to mark a message for expire and then B e
but where do I specify the target folder?

I thought of modifying  `gnus-summary-move-article' so that
it moves an article to that [Gmail]/Trash

* Re: gmail "imap" how to delete
@ 2012-12-12 14:10     ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2012-12-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> "Alberto" == Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:
>
>    > Uwe Brauer writes:
>    >> Hello
>
>    > Expire messages to [Gmail]/Trash?
> But how is this supposed to work?
>
> I use E to mark a message for expire and then B e
> but where do I specify the target folder?
>
> I thought of modifying  `gnus-summary-move-article' so that
> it moves an article to that [Gmail]/Trash

I bind 'd' to:

(defun gnus-move-to-trash ()
  (interactive)
  (gnus-summary-move-article nil trash-newsgroup))

(setq trash-newsgroup "nnimap+[name-for-mail-server]:Trash")

So that's not expiring to trash, but putting them there promptly.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: gmail "imap" how to delete
@ 2012-12-12 14:22       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2012-12-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

   > (defun gnus-move-to-trash ()
   >   (interactive)
   >   (gnus-summary-move-article nil trash-newsgroup))

   > (setq trash-newsgroup "nnimap+[name-for-mail-server]:Trash")
cool, thanks

* Re: gmail "imap" how to delete
@ 2012-12-13 10:21     ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2012-12-13 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer writes:

>>> "Alberto" == Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:
>
>    > Uwe Brauer writes:
>    >> Hello
>
>    > Expire messages to [Gmail]/Trash?
> But how is this supposed to work?

It seems Greg's solution is good for you, but nevetheless, I will add
some explanations:

> I use E to mark a message for expire and then B e
> but where do I specify the target folder?

Enter group parameters with (G-c) when having the cursor over the group
name in the *Groups* buffer.  There are two interesting options:

1. Expire wait: I guess you want "inmediate" for moving the articles as
soon you exit the group.

2. Expiry target: where to move expired articles.  This is the name of
your trash folder.

--
Alberto