From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: David Engster <deng@randomsample.de>
Subject: Re: ERT tests on Emacs22
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 09:52:09 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, 16 May 2011 15:16:15 +0200 David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> wrote:

DE> trying to get the ERT tests to work on Emacs22, it occured to me that
DE> you're depending on the hashtable-print-readable feature, which is only
DE> available since Emacs 23.2? So I'm afraid you'll either have to restrict
DE> the registry to newer Emacsen, or you'll have to create an object-write
DE> method for registry-db which properly serializes hash-tables for older
DE> Emacsen...

Ugh.  Well, the gnus-registry is an optional package so we could simply
say it's not for older Emacsen and skip the ERT tests there.  The
package could, when loaded, complain if the feature is not available.

I'd really like to avoid writing a hashtable serializer for the sake of
Emacs 23.1 and older users.  It's been missing since the
gnus-registry.el rewrite and no one has complained, so I doubt it's a
big population of people who want the latest Gnus yet can't upgrade
their Emacs.

The next major release of Gnus should probably require 23.2 or newer,
anyhow.

Ted