* Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-29  0:25 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-29  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I often find myself hitting `C-x 1' in the summary buffer.  That's way
to many keys to hit.  And if I'm doing it a lot, I guess other people
are, too.  So it should be bound to a single-key keystroke.

Anybody have any suggestions?  I'm tempted to use ``', since that's
convenient on my keyboard, and is near the "1" key, but others might
not agree...

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-29  0:36 ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-12-29  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I often find myself hitting `C-x 1' in the summary buffer.  That's way
> to many keys to hit.  And if I'm doing it a lot, I guess other people
> are, too.  So it should be bound to a single-key keystroke.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?  I'm tempted to use ``', since that's
> convenient on my keyboard, and is near the "1" key, but others might
> not agree...

Doesn't this do the same thing?

,----

`----

--
Nevin

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-29  0:36 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-12-29  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

`=' doesn't do what you want?

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-29  0:41   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-29  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> `=' doesn't do what you want?

Er...  *blush*

Oh, well.  :-)

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-29  2:52   ` Karra
From: Karra @ 2001-12-29  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> `=' doesn't do what you want?

Running Emacs 21 in a tty, I did `=' just now; it left the bbdb window
lying around.  The Article window disappeared, however; I guess `='
doesn't do what Lars wanted, afterall.

--
"Have you ever fought an IDEA, Picard?"
      -- Gowron, Star Trek TNG.

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-29 14:33 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-12-29 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I often find myself hitting `C-x 1' in the summary buffer.  That's way
> to many keys to hit.  And if I'm doing it a lot, I guess other people
> are, too.  So it should be bound to a single-key keystroke.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?  I'm tempted to use ``', since that's
> convenient on my keyboard, and is near the "1" key, but others might
> not agree...

`=' does this, but I tend to never use it because it requires two key
strokes on my keyboard.  `§' is conveniently placed next to 1' on my
keyboard though.  Maybe this should be a local customization though..

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-29 14:41   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-12-29 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> `§' is conveniently placed next to 1' on my keyboard though.

That's a psychotic keyboard you've got.  I've never seen a keyboard
with the "section" glyph on it anywhere.

> Maybe this should be a local customization though..

Very much so.

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-29 15:48     ` David Kågedal
From: David Kågedal @ 2001-12-29 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
> > `§' is conveniently placed next to 1' on my keyboard though.
>
> That's a psychotic keyboard you've got.  I've never seen a keyboard
> with the "section" glyph on it anywhere.

Then you have never seen a swedish pc keyboard...  But I agree that it
is an extremely stupid arrangement.

--
David Kågedal

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-29 15:50     ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2001-12-29 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>> `§' is conveniently placed next to 1' on my keyboard though.
>
> That's a psychotic keyboard you've got.  I've never seen a keyboard
> with the "section" glyph on it anywhere.

It is a swedish keyboard, which almost everyone in Sweden uses.  I use
an english one though.  Swedish keyboards are a fast ticket to broken
hands if you program in C, you have to hit Right alt (a.k. a. AltGr) + 7
to get a { for example.

Henrik
--
We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should.  Africa is a
nation that suffers from incredible disease.

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karra <karra@cs.utah.edu> writes:

> Running Emacs 21 in a tty, I did `=' just now; it left the bbdb window
> lying around.  The Article window disappeared, however; I guess `='
> doesn't do what Lars wanted, afterall.

I don't use bbdb, so `=' does do what I want.  :-)

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-30 14:43     ` Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) @ 2001-12-30 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karra <karra@cs.utah.edu> writes:

> Running Emacs 21 in a tty, I did `=' just now; it left the bbdb window
> lying around.  The Article window disappeared, however; I guess `='
> doesn't do what Lars wanted, afterall.

'-=' Will re-configure your windows to the initial configuration even
after resizing or adding other windows.

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-30 15:03   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2001-12-30 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> `=' does this, but I tend to never use it because it requires two
> key strokes on my keyboard.  `§' is conveniently placed next to 1'
> on my keyboard though.  Maybe this should be a local customization
> though..

Yup.  On a Norwegian PC-keyboard, this key has a '|', and a '§' when
you press shift.  Ie. the same number of keypresses as '=', which is
shift-'0'.

On my Norwegian-keyboarded old DEC HiNote Ultra II, the '|'/'§' key is
on the right side of the space bar, so finding a good standard key for
all locales doesn't seem simple.

* Re: Keystroke for `C-x 1'
@ 2001-12-30 17:13       ` Chris Beggy
From: Chris Beggy @ 2001-12-30 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Karra <karra@cs.utah.edu> writes:
>
>> Running Emacs 21 in a tty, I did `=' just now; it left the bbdb window
>> lying around.  The Article window disappeared, however; I guess `='
>> doesn't do what Lars wanted, afterall.
>
> I don't use bbdb, so `=' does do what I want.  :-)

I was trying to create this behavior with bbdb and mew with
mew-use-full-window, so thanks for pointing out this good example
:-)

Chris