* Gnus displays "No such article (may have expired or been canceled)" on nnimap
@ 2012-11-13  3:35 Sergio Durigan Junior
From: Sergio Durigan Junior @ 2012-11-13  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I use nnimap (offlineimap) + dovecot as my main setup for emails, and it
works overall fine.  However, for some messages (I still don't know the
pattern, it seems to happen randomly) Gnus displays the error message
present in the $SUBJECT.

These messages are usually older than 3 or 4 weeks, and have not been
expired, canceled, or moved by me.  I just read the messages when they
arrived, and that's it.  I tried to find some information on the
internet, but the only thing I could find was an old thread on some Gnus
newsgroup where someone was suggesting to do "(setq nnimap-nov-is-evil
t)".  I tried that without success (I actually did a "forced" restart of
Gnus, by deleting ~/.newsrc* and ~/News/).

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Oh, one more thing worth
mentioning: I use exactly the same setup (i.e., Gnus + offlineimap +
dovecot) on 2 different computers, one of them running Emacs v.23.3
(Gnus v.5.13) and another running Emacs v.24.1 (Gnus v.5.13).  In the
older Emacs+Gnus, I can see all the messages in a group, but for some of
them I receive the "No such article" error.  However, with the newer
Emacs+Gnus, I don't even see all the messages, but just those which are
indeed "valid", i.e., I don't see the "No such article" messages.

Thanks in advance for the help,

--
Sergio

* Re: Gnus displays "No such article (may have expired or been canceled)" on nnimap
@ 2012-12-20  2:36 ` Sergio Durigan Junior
From: Sergio Durigan Junior @ 2012-12-20  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tuesday, November 13 2012, I wrote:

> I use nnimap (offlineimap) + dovecot as my main setup for emails, and it
> works overall fine.  However, for some messages (I still don't know the
> pattern, it seems to happen randomly) Gnus displays the error message
> present in the $SUBJECT.

Hello,

I was wondering if someone else is seeing this problem.  I am not sure
if this is really a Gnus problem; it can be dovecot's fault as well.

I tried to debug it but couldn't find anything interesting for now.  I
will do a deeper debugging session when I have more time...

Any comments are appreciated.

@ 2012-12-20  3:52   ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2012-12-20  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@riseup.net> writes:

> I was wondering if someone else is seeing this problem.  I am not sure
> if this is really a Gnus problem; it can be dovecot's fault as well.

I see this quite often. I'm not sure what causes it, but I assume it is
that I am in the Group reading mail, then Gnus checks mail behind my
back and now I cannot go on to another article in that Group unless I
exit and then re-enter the Group. Sort of obnoxious, but only costs me a
few seconds of finger movement.

aric
--
    ~O
    /\_,

* Re: Gnus displays "No such article (may have expired or been canceled)" on nnimap
@ 2012-12-21  5:35     ` Sergio Durigan Junior
From: Sergio Durigan Junior @ 2012-12-21  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thursday, December 20 2012, Aric Gregson wrote:

> Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> I was wondering if someone else is seeing this problem.  I am not sure
>> if this is really a Gnus problem; it can be dovecot's fault as well.
>
> I see this quite often. I'm not sure what causes it, but I assume it is
> that I am in the Group reading mail, then Gnus checks mail behind my
> back and now I cannot go on to another article in that Group unless I
> exit and then re-enter the Group. Sort of obnoxious, but only costs me a
> few seconds of finger movement.

Hi Aric,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, the problem you reported is not
the same.  Those "No such article" messages are there forever, it
doesn't really matter if I exit and re-enter the Group, or Gnus, or even
if I remove ~/.news* and do a "hard reset" on Gnus.

--

@ 2012-12-24 20:49 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-12-24 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergio Durigan Junior; +Cc: ding

Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@riseup.net> writes:

> I use nnimap (offlineimap) + dovecot as my main setup for emails, and it
> works overall fine.  However, for some messages (I still don't know the
> pattern, it seems to happen randomly) Gnus displays the error message
> present in the $SUBJECT.

It seems like a lot of people that are using offlineimap report various
different problems.  But I don't know whether that's because offlineimap
is buggy or because nnimap is buggy.  I haven't used offlineimap myself.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Gnus displays "No such article (may have expired or been canceled)" on nnimap
@ 2012-12-30  7:11   ` Sergio Durigan Junior
From: Sergio Durigan Junior @ 2012-12-30  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday, December 24 2012, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> I use nnimap (offlineimap) + dovecot as my main setup for emails, and it
>> works overall fine.  However, for some messages (I still don't know the
>> pattern, it seems to happen randomly) Gnus displays the error message
>> present in the $SUBJECT.
>
> It seems like a lot of people that are using offlineimap report various
> different problems.  But I don't know whether that's because offlineimap
> is buggy or because nnimap is buggy.  I haven't used offlineimap myself.

Well, thanks a lot for the reply.  I really don't know whether this is
offlineimap's fault or not, but I will try to check with a few more
offlineimap users.

Thanks!

--
Sergio