* Why I don't use shr
@ 2012-12-21  8:29 Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-12-21  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: larsi; +Cc: ding

Lars,

I don't use shr because it displays too many colors. w3m just displays
the text. I have attached two screen shots of the same article so that
you get an idea of what I am talking about.

Ideally shr should do the same.

What do you think?

Take care,

Ivan

[-- Attachment #2: shr.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 11612 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: w3m.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 11629 bytes --]

* Re: Why I don't use shr
@ 2012-12-21 19:19 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-12-21 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:29:01 +0100 Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com> wrote:

IK> I don't use shr because it displays too many colors. w3m just displays
IK> the text. I have attached two screen shots of the same article so that
IK> you get an idea of what I am talking about.

IK> Ideally shr should do the same.

From the code, it looks like you could simply override `shr-color-check'
to return a static pair of colors, or even defalias
`shr-colorize-region' to do nothing.

If that works for you, I could look into augmenting `shr-color-check'
with a matching alist to provide this for the general case.

Ted

* Re: Why I don't use shr
@ 2012-12-22  9:25   ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2012-12-22  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:29:01 +0100 Ivan Kanis
> <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> IK> I don't use shr because it displays too many colors.

> even defalias `shr-colorize-region' to do nothing.

I did, now I will use shr ;)

> If that works for you, I could look into augmenting `shr-color-check'
> with a matching alist to provide this for the general case.

Ideally I would always use bg = black and avoid fg being to dark so that
it becomes unreadable.

I have added it on my 'todo'. When I get round to it I'll send a patch.

Take care,
--
Ivan Kanis
http://ivan.kanis.fr

Hated by fools, and fools to hate,
Be that my motto and my fate.
    -- Jonathan Swift

* Re: Why I don't use shr
@ 2012-12-22 19:42     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-12-22 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 10:25:49 +0100 Ivan Kanis <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com> wrote:

IK> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

>> If that works for you, I could look into augmenting `shr-color-check'
>> with a matching alist to provide this for the general case.

IK> Ideally I would always use bg = black and avoid fg being to dark so that
IK> it becomes unreadable.

IK> I have added it on my 'todo'. When I get round to it I'll send a patch.

Please do.  I think there could be some fun potential here.  For
instance we could set the colors to night vs day colors depending on the
time of day.

(Incidentally that would be an awesome Emacs color theme, and it would
be even nicer if shr.el could get its colors from a theme, but I don't
know any of that side of Emacs.)

Ted