* splitting already seen emails
@ 2011-03-27 19:15 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-27 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I do IMAP client side splitting and this seems to work quite well.
However, I often read some of my emails from my phone directly from the
IMAP INBOX.  Any email I have read is obviously marked as seen.  By
default, gnus will not split such emails so they are left in the INBOX.

I have tried setting the unsplittable articles setting for IMAP:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
  '((nnimap "work"
     (nnimap-address "...")
     (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
     (nnimap-unsplittable-articles '(%Deleted)))))

but this doesn't seem to have any effect even though the manual
indicates that the last setting defaults to '(%Deleted %Seen) giving me
the impression that removing the %Seen element should do the job.

Actually, a quick question: how can I *see* what the settings for any
select method are once loaded?

Anyway, I am using fancy splitting with

(setq nnimap-split-methods 'default
      nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)

and nnmail-split-fancy defined (and working).

Any suggestions on how to have %Seen emails split automatically?

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.16

* Re: splitting already seen emails
@ 2011-03-27 19:19 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-27 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hello,
>
> I do IMAP client side splitting and this seems to work quite well.
> However, I often read some of my emails from my phone directly from the
> IMAP INBOX.  Any email I have read is obviously marked as seen.  By
> default, gnus will not split such emails so they are left in the INBOX.

[...]

Apologies: excuse the noise but it is actually working!

I thought it wasn't because, for some reason, the number of unread
emails for the INBOX was wrong.  When I went into it to actually read
one of the emails I had previously read on the phone, I was told that
the email did not exist.  I left the group and hit M-g on that group;
the update told me there were 0 messages.  Strange...

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.16