* No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-21  3:39 Lars Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-21  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: ding-announce

Long time, no release.  The last one was the traditional release at
2008-05-01.  That's like a million years ago.

I'll start doing these releases more often now -- but without doing
tar balls, and without posting diffs.  These really aren't that
interesting any more, I think, since you can just download any version
you want from git.

So in the future, I'll do a release whenever I feel that development
Gnus is more stable than usual.  So they won't be done when there are
lots of bright, shiny, new, breakable stuff included, but when it's been
shown to work at least somewhat.

Get it by saying

  git clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git && git checkout n0-11

ChangeLog since last release has been removed since it's 8K lines.

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-21  7:59 ` Didier Verna
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Didier Verna @ 2011-02-21  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Long time, no release.  The last one was the traditional release at
> 2008-05-01.  That's like a million years ago.

  More or less the time elasped since I last upgraded :-)

Is that to say that the whole hysterical activity around nnimap has
stabilized and it's safe to check it out now? Also, is there anything
that needs to be changed in one's nnimap configuration to make it work
with the new implementation?

Thanks (sorry I've been totally absent recently).

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-21  9:22   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-21  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:

> Is that to say that the whole hysterical activity around nnimap has
> stabilized and it's safe to check it out now?

Kinda...  but there's still work being done.

> Also, is there anything that needs to be changed in one's nnimap
> configuration to make it work with the new implementation?

Things are somewhat different, but the conf should be simpler now.  The
main thing that's really changed is client-side nnimap mail splitting,
which uses `nnimap-split-methods' as a server parameter now.

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-21 10:56 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-21 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: ding-announce

> Long time, no release.  The last one was the traditional release at
> 2008-05-01.  That's like a million years ago.

I forgot to say what the major new things are since the last release.

* nnimap has been totally reimplemented.  It should work as before,
  mostly, but if you do server-side mail splitting, you may need to
  change your nnmail-split-methods variable into a nnimap-split-methods
  server parameter

* two new HTML renderers -- one based on w3m, if you're not using Emacs
  24, and one totally built-in called shr (Simple HTML Renderer), if
  you're using Emacs 24

* new auth methods -- the Secrets API is supported, and both nntp and
  nnimap use both ~/.authinfo and ~/.authinfo.gpg for credentials

* more encryption -- nnimap and nntp will use STARTTLS opportunistically
  if your Emacs 24 is compiled with gnutls support

* group activation has been completely rewritten, and data is read
  asynchronously and in parallel from all remote nntp and nnimap
  servers, which should speed up Gnus startup and the `g' command
  substantially

I think those are the most major items, but I've probably forgotten a
lot.  It's been a million years since the last one!

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-21 12:23   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2011-02-21 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> * nnimap has been totally reimplemented. It should work as before,
> mostly, but if you do server-side mail splitting, you may need to
> change your nnmail-split-methods variable into a nnimap-split-methods
> server parameter

  Except that it was called nnimap-split-rule before right? You're
frightening me there, buddy :-)

> * two new HTML renderers -- one based on w3m, if you're not using
> Emacs 24, and one totally built-in called shr (Simple HTML Renderer),
> if you're using Emacs 24

  Is the first one usable with XEmacs?

> * group activation has been completely rewritten, and data is read
> asynchronously and in parallel from all remote nntp and nnimap
> servers, which should speed up Gnus startup and the `g' command
> substantially

  That's great!

--

@ 2011-02-21 13:59 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-02-21 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding, ding-announce

> Long time, no release.  The last one was the traditional release at
> 2008-05-01.  That's like a million years ago.
>
> I'll start doing these releases more often now -- but without doing
> tar balls, and without posting diffs.  These really aren't that
> interesting any more, I think, since you can just download any version
> you want from git.
>
> So in the future, I'll do a release whenever I feel that development
> Gnus is more stable than usual.  So they won't be done when there are
> lots of bright, shiny, new, breakable stuff included, but when it's been
> shown to work at least somewhat.
>
> Get it by saying
>
>   git clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git && git checkout n0-11
>
> ChangeLog since last release has been removed since it's 8K lines.

Just as a note, it needs a "cd gnus" there. And then "make" doesn't work
saying it needs a target.

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-21 16:09 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2011-02-21 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding, ding-announce

LI> Long time, no release.  The last one was the traditional release at
LI> 2008-05-01.  That's like a million years ago.

Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 12 secs ago
Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 13 secs ago
Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 14 secs ago
Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 15 secs ago
Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 16 secs ago
Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 17 secs ago
Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 18 secs ago
Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 19 secs ago
Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 20 secs ago

Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/
My Thoughts:  http://pontifications.hardakers.net/

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-21 17:44   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-02-21 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ah ok, I had to install autoconf, and run that then ./configure and then make.

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Long time, no release.  The last one was the traditional release at
>> 2008-05-01.  That's like a million years ago.
>>
>> I'll start doing these releases more often now -- but without doing
>> tar balls, and without posting diffs.  These really aren't that
>> interesting any more, I think, since you can just download any version
>> you want from git.
>>
>> So in the future, I'll do a release whenever I feel that development
>> Gnus is more stable than usual.  So they won't be done when there are
>> lots of bright, shiny, new, breakable stuff included, but when it's been
>> shown to work at least somewhat.
>>
>> Get it by saying
>>
>>   git clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git && git checkout n0-11
>>
>> ChangeLog since last release has been removed since it's 8K lines.
>
> Just as a note, it needs a "cd gnus" there. And then "make" doesn't work
> saying it needs a target.

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-02-21 17:50 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2011-02-21 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

> Get it by saying
>
>   git clone http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git && git checkout n0-11

The n0-11 tag contains code from 2008 but not later, or did I do
something wrong?

I will build and test master now, expect confused e-mails. :-)

/Simon

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-21 22:45     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-21 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:

>   Except that it was called nnimap-split-rule before right? You're
> frightening me there, buddy :-)

Er...  I guess...  :-)  It's been months since I did that stuff.

>> * two new HTML renderers -- one based on w3m, if you're not using
>> Emacs 24, and one totally built-in called shr (Simple HTML Renderer),
>> if you're using Emacs 24
>
>   Is the first one usable with XEmacs?

Yes.

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-21 23:21   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-21 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Just as a note, it needs a "cd gnus" there. And then "make" doesn't work
> saying it needs a target.

Thanks.  I've now added this to the release script.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-21 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> LI> Long time, no release.  The last one was the traditional release at
> LI> 2008-05-01.  That's like a million years ago.
>
> Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 12 secs ago
> Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 13 secs ago
> Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 14 secs ago
> Actually it was 2 years, 8 months, 20 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 15 secs ago

Hehehehehe.

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-21 23:22   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-21 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:

> The n0-11 tag contains code from 2008 but not later, or did I do
> something wrong?

It was me being confused.  You need to check out n0-12 to get No Gnus
v0.11.  Sort of.  The next release (which I think I'll do later today)
will have the numbering thing fixed.

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-22 22:04   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-22 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 02:56:35 -0800 Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LI> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>> Long time, no release.  The last one was the traditional release at
>> 2008-05-01.  That's like a million years ago.

LI> * new auth methods -- the Secrets API is supported, and both nntp and
LI>   nnimap use both ~/.authinfo and ~/.authinfo.gpg for credentials

Also ~/.netrc now.  If my recent changes are acceptable we have to push
out a new release, the previous auth-source prompting was atrocious.

Ted

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-23  8:41     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-23  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Also ~/.netrc now.  If my recent changes are acceptable we have to push
> out a new release, the previous auth-source prompting was atrocious.

I can push out a new release early tomorrow (Left Coast Time), perhaps.
Well, anybody can -- you just have to run the makepub script, and
everything should work automatically.  Except sending the "is released"
mail.

* Re: No Gnus v0.11 is released
@ 2011-02-23 15:06       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-23 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 00:41:38 -0800 Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> Also ~/.netrc now.  If my recent changes are acceptable we have to push
>> out a new release, the previous auth-source prompting was atrocious.

LI> I can push out a new release early tomorrow (Left Coast Time), perhaps.
LI> Well, anybody can -- you just have to run the makepub script, and
LI> everything should work automatically.  Except sending the "is released"
LI> mail.

Let's settle the auth-source stuff first I guess.  There are still lots
of UI issues.  I thought it was going to be a few hours of work, at
most...  Sigh.

Ted