* Obsolete files
@ 2004-01-17  1:29 Jesper Harder
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-17  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any reason to keep these files in CVS:

   contrib/base64.el
   contrib/md5.el

Not needed in any supported Emacs version, I think.

   contrib/ucs-tables.el

Part of Emacs 21.3.

   lisp/gnus-gl.el

Obsolete because GroupLens doesn't exist.

   lisp/nndb.el

Does this work?  The server you need doesn't seem to be available
anywhere.

* Re: Obsolete files
@ 2004-01-17  1:59 ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2004-01-17  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

  > Is there any reason to keep these files in CVS:
  >    contrib/base64.el
  >    contrib/md5.el
  >    contrib/ucs-tables.el

From an XEmacs point of view, there's no reason for these 3 files to
exist.

  >    lisp/gnus-gl.el
  >    lisp/nndb.el

I've never had any need for these 2, if they can't be used in the real
world... nuke 'em.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|              Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.               |

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 256 bytes --]

* Re: Obsolete files
@ 2004-01-18 22:06 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-01-18 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 17 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:

> Is there any reason to keep these files in CVS:
[...]
>    contrib/ucs-tables.el
>
> Part of Emacs 21.3.

But not of Emacs 21.1 and 21.2.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Obsolete files
@ 2004-01-23  5:18 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-23  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Is there any reason to keep these files in CVS:
>
>    contrib/base64.el
>    contrib/md5.el
>    lisp/gnus-gl.el

They're gone now.

>    lisp/nndb.el
>
> Does this work?  The server you need doesn't seem to be available
> anywhere.

I don't really understand what this supposed to do.

* Re: Obsolete files
@ 2004-01-23  6:33   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-01-23  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>    lisp/gnus-gl.el

> They're gone now.

Oops!  There's a grouplens stuff in my .newsrc.eld file:

(setq gnus-format-specs
(insert (format "%s %s\n" gnus-tmp-grouplens gnus-tmp-moderated-string))
...)

Because of this, I couldn't start new Gnus.  So, I modified the
line manually to:

(insert (format "%s\n" gnus-tmp-moderated-string))

However, it is quite dangerous to edit the .newsrc.eld file
manually for all people.  Any ideas?
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: Obsolete files
@ 2004-01-23  6:40     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-23  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>>>    lisp/gnus-gl.el
>
>> They're gone now.
>
> Oops!

Oops, indeed.

> There's a grouplens stuff in my .newsrc.eld file:
>
> (setq gnus-format-specs
> (insert (format "%s %s\n" gnus-tmp-grouplens gnus-tmp-moderated-string))
> ...)
>
> However, it is quite dangerous to edit the .newsrc.eld file
> manually for all people.  Any ideas?

Wouldn't

  (defvar gnus-tmp-grouplens "")

in, say, gnus.el do the trick?

* Re: Obsolete files
@ 2004-01-23  6:47       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-01-23  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Wouldn't

>   (defvar gnus-tmp-grouplens "")

> in, say, gnus.el do the trick?

I confirmed that's okay.  Please commit.
I inserted the line just before the `(defgroup gnus nil' line.
--

@ 2004-01-27 15:12   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-01-27 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:
>
> They're gone now.
>
>>    lisp/nndb.el
>>
>> Does this work?  The server you need doesn't seem to be available
>> anywhere.
>
> I don't really understand what this supposed to do.

The nndb program was a Perl script which talked a modified NNTP
protocol.  Basically, it was NNTP plus some commands that allowed you
to modify the groups -- remove articles, edit articles, and such.

nndb.el was a backend that did what nntp.el did plus it provided
support for the additional commands.

The idea was that the nndb program used Berkeley DB for storage of NOV
data (maybe other things, too), and such some operations could be
faster.  Theoretically.  Maybe it also stored the articles themselves
in Berkeley DB, I don't remember.

These days, people just use IMAP.

Kai