* mysterious entry in *Server* buffer
@ 2013-08-08  9:40 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-08-08  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I seem to have some kind of a duplicate entry in the *Server* buffer I
can't explain. They are

{nnimap:imap.free.fr} (opened)
{nnimap:free} (opened) (agent)

among others.

gnus-select-method is (nnml "local")
gnus-secondary-select-methods is

((nnimap "gmail"
	 (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
	 (nnimap-stream ssl)
	 (nnir-search-engine imap))
 (nnimap "free"
	 (nnimap-address "imap.free.fr")
	 (nnir-search-engine imap)
	 (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)
	 (nnimap-inbox "INBOX"))
 (nntp "news.gwene.org"
       (nnir-search-engine gmane))
 (nntp "news.gmane.org"
       (nnir-search-engine gmane)))

I must have messed up my configuration somehow but what could open a
connection to this imap.free.fr server other than an entry in a
select-method variable ?

Julien.

* Re: mysterious entry in *Server* buffer
@ 2013-08-08 10:02 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-08-08 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

Hi Julien,

> I seem to have some kind of a duplicate entry in the *Server* buffer I
> can't explain. They are
>
> {nnimap:imap.free.fr} (opened)
> {nnimap:free} (opened) (agent)
>
> among others.

Do both of them work, i.e., RET on them shows their list of groups?

> gnus-select-method is (nnml "local")
> gnus-secondary-select-methods is
>
> ((nnimap "gmail"
> 	 (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
> 	 (nnimap-stream ssl)
> 	 (nnir-search-engine imap))
>  (nnimap "free"
> 	 (nnimap-address "imap.free.fr")
> 	 (nnir-search-engine imap)
> 	 (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)
> 	 (nnimap-inbox "INBOX"))

Hm, the entry above is responsible for {nnimap:free}.  I have no clue
where the other one comes from...

>  (nntp "news.gwene.org"
>        (nnir-search-engine gmane))
>  (nntp "news.gmane.org"
>        (nnir-search-engine gmane)))

Unrelated to the question, but I don't think you need to have a separate
select method for gwene.  When you check {nntp:news.gmane.org} in the
*Server* buffer, you'll see that it also contains all the gwene.*
groups.  news.gmane.org and news.gwene.org are actually the very same
server.

% telnet news.gmane.org 119
Trying 80.91.229.13...
Connected to ger.gmane.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.1 ready (posting ok)

% telnet news.gwene.org 119
Trying 80.91.229.13...
Connected to news.gwene.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.1 ready (posting ok)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: mysterious entry in *Server* buffer
@ 2013-08-08 11:35   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-08-08 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:
>
> Hi Julien,
>
>> I seem to have some kind of a duplicate entry in the *Server* buffer I
>> can't explain. They are
>>
>> {nnimap:imap.free.fr} (opened)
>> {nnimap:free} (opened) (agent)
>>
>> among others.
>
> Do both of them work, i.e., RET on them shows their list of groups?

Yes, and I noticed that on the "wrong one" (nnimap:imap.free.fr), all
groups were killed except for one. So I killed this group, and
resubscribed it from the "right" server (nnimap:free) and now the wrong
one doesn't appear anymore. Weird but fixed.

> Unrelated to the question, but I don't think you need to have a separate
> select method for gwene.  When you check {nntp:news.gmane.org} in the
> *Server* buffer, you'll see that it also contains all the gwene.*
> groups.  news.gmane.org and news.gwene.org are actually the very same
> server.
I see, but can I "migrate" all the news.gwene.org groups to
news.gmane.org ones while keeping marks, group parameters and so on ?

Thanks for your help,

@ 2013-08-08 11:47     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-08-08 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

>>> I seem to have some kind of a duplicate entry in the *Server* buffer
>>> I can't explain. They are
>>>
>>> {nnimap:imap.free.fr} (opened)
>>> {nnimap:free} (opened) (agent)
>>>
>>> among others.
>>
>> Do both of them work, i.e., RET on them shows their list of groups?
>
> Yes, and I noticed that on the "wrong one" (nnimap:imap.free.fr), all
> groups were killed except for one. So I killed this group, and
> resubscribed it from the "right" server (nnimap:free) and now the
> wrong one doesn't appear anymore. Weird but fixed.

Maybe your select method was (nnimap "imap.free.fr" ...) initially, and
then you've changed it to (nnimap "free" (nnimap-address "imap.free.fr")
...) later on while still being subscribed to
nnimap+imap.free.fr:SomeGroup?

>> Unrelated to the question, but I don't think you need to have a
>> separate select method for gwene.  When you check
>> {nntp:news.gmane.org} in the *Server* buffer, you'll see that it also
>> contains all the gwene.* groups.  news.gmane.org and news.gwene.org
>> are actually the very same server.
>
> I see, but can I "migrate" all the news.gwene.org groups to
> news.gmane.org ones while keeping marks, group parameters and so on ?

Probably by copying the contents of Mail/gwene/ to Mail/gmane/, renaming
the SCORE and ADAPT files in News from nntp+gwene:gwene.* to
nntp+gmane:gwene.*, copying News/agent/gwene to News/agent/gmane, and
copying News/marks/gwene to News/marks/gmane.

But no guarantee that this will work.  It might also mess everything up.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: mysterious entry in *Server* buffer
@ 2013-08-08 12:26       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2013-08-08 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Yes, and I noticed that on the "wrong one" (nnimap:imap.free.fr), all
>> groups were killed except for one. So I killed this group, and
>> resubscribed it from the "right" server (nnimap:free) and now the
>> wrong one doesn't appear anymore. Weird but fixed.

> Maybe your select method was (nnimap "imap.free.fr" ...) initially,
> and then you've changed it to (nnimap "free" (nnimap-address
> "imap.free.fr") ...) later on while still being subscribed to
> nnimap+imap.free.fr:SomeGroup?

If you create an nnimap group and use "imap.free.fr" instead of just
"free", I believe you will get such a server in the *Server* buffer.

If you use just "free", the existing server will be used.

* Re: mysterious entry in *Server* buffer
@ 2013-08-08 13:26   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2013-08-08 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Unrelated to the question, but I don't think you need to have a separate
> select method for gwene.  When you check {nntp:news.gmane.org} in the
> *Server* buffer, you'll see that it also contains all the gwene.*
> groups.  news.gmane.org and news.gwene.org are actually the very same
> server.

I seem to remember that being subject to change. One of these years...

I like the tidyness of having the two separate, so my setup is similar :-)

  Best regards,

   Adam

--
 "It's the mouthpiece of a nation                             Adam Sjøgren
  With unhealthy gums                                    asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: mysterious entry in *Server* buffer
@ 2013-08-08 20:20       ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-08-08 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Maybe your select method was (nnimap "imap.free.fr" ...) initially, and
> then you've changed it to (nnimap "free" (nnimap-address "imap.free.fr")
> ...) later on while still being subscribed to
> nnimap+imap.free.fr:SomeGroup?

I think you're right.

> Probably by copying the contents of Mail/gwene/ to Mail/gmane/, renaming
> the SCORE and ADAPT files in News from nntp+gwene:gwene.* to
> nntp+gmane:gwene.*, copying News/agent/gwene to News/agent/gmane, and
> copying News/marks/gwene to News/marks/gmane.
>
> But no guarantee that this will work.  It might also mess everything up.

Seems unsure. I think I'll stick to my 2 servers setup, all the more
since I actually have gmane agentized (to fetch messages) while gwene
isn't (not so important to have all posts on the go).

Thanks for your help,

Julien.