* Multiple smtp
@ 2012-06-07 15:10 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-06-07 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I had a glance through the archive and didnt see anything, but has
anything been done yet with regard to built in multiple smtp
authentication based on, preferably, gnus-posting-styles? I'm still
limited to using only two gmail email accounts since gmail has only two
aliases I can uniquely index authinfo machine field with (Using hosts
file didnt work). I realise there are several thrid party smtp hooks
which do it too.

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-06-07 16:59 ` innovate
From: innovate @ 2012-06-07 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I wanted to ask about multiple SMTP support in MaGnus as well.

Last time, I tried using MaGnus, it complained about my cg-feed-msmtp function
(stolen from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMSMTP).

I wanted to make sure everything was ready, before I tried upgrading to
the new more bodacious way.

Thanks,

Damon

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> I had a glance through the archive and didnt see anything, but has
> anything been done yet with regard to built in multiple smtp
> authentication based on, preferably, gnus-posting-styles? I'm still
> limited to using only two gmail email accounts since gmail has only two
> aliases I can uniquely index authinfo machine field with (Using hosts
> file didnt work). I realise there are several thrid party smtp hooks
> which do it too.

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-06-08  1:00   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-06-08  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, Jun 08 2012, innovate wrote:

> I wanted to ask about multiple SMTP support in MaGnus as well.
>
> Last time, I tried using MaGnus, it complained about my cg-feed-msmtp function
> (stolen from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMSMTP).

What were the complaints, exactly? I'm using MaGnus and that exact bit
of copy-pasta, and things work find for me.

--
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-06-06 on pellet

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-06-08 17:44     ` innovate
From: innovate @ 2012-06-08 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Never mind,

Ma Gnus v0.6 feeding to msmtp is still working fine.  Perhaps user error
the last time I tried it.

Damon

> On Fri, Jun 08 2012, innovate wrote:
>
>> I wanted to ask about multiple SMTP support in MaGnus as well.
>>
>> Last time, I tried using MaGnus, it complained about my cg-feed-msmtp function
>> (stolen from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMSMTP).
>
> What were the complaints, exactly? I'm using MaGnus and that exact bit
> of copy-pasta, and things work find for me.

>> I wanted to make sure everything was ready, before I tried upgrading to
>> the new more bodacious way.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Damon
>>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I had a glance through the archive and didnt see anything, but has
>>> anything been done yet with regard to built in multiple smtp
>>> authentication based on, preferably, gnus-posting-styles? I'm still
>>> limited to using only two gmail email accounts since gmail has only two
>>> aliases I can uniquely index authinfo machine field with (Using hosts
>>> file didnt work). I realise there are several thrid party smtp hooks
>>> which do it too.

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-06-10 19:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-06-10 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> I had a glance through the archive and didnt see anything, but has
> anything been done yet with regard to built in multiple smtp
> authentication based on, preferably, gnus-posting-styles?

Yes, Ma Gnus has support for multiple SMTP servers.  See the "Group
Parameters" section in the manual.

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-06-10 20:16   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-06-10 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I had a glance through the archive and didnt see anything, but has
>> anything been done yet with regard to built in multiple smtp
>> authentication based on, preferably, gnus-posting-styles?
>
> Yes, Ma Gnus has support for multiple SMTP servers.  See the "Group
> Parameters" section in the manual.

Hi,

I see this:

          ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.example.org 587")

with no further info.

And I dont see how this addresses the main issue which was multiple
users for the same smtp machine e.g multiple google accounts.

Do you possibly have some more info on using this? And possibly example
authinfo entries which correspond to the above?

* Re: Multiple smtp
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-06-10 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> And I dont see how this addresses the main issue which was multiple
> users for the same smtp machine e.g multiple google accounts.

It's further explained in the Message manual.

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-06-10 22:14       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-06-10 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> And I dont see how this addresses the main issue which was multiple
>> users for the same smtp machine e.g multiple google accounts.
>
> It's further explained in the Message manual.

Aha, possibly an example would help others.

e.g I have posting style lines of

 (X-Message-SMTP-Method "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 rileyrg")

and

 (X-Message-SMTP-Method "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 shamrockirishbar")

the corresponding auth lines in my auth-email.gpg are:-

,----
| machine smtp.gmail.com login rileyrg port 587 password pass1
| machine smtp.gmail.com login shamrockirishbar port 587 pass2
`----

cheers,

works well.

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-06-11 15:42         ` Damon Haley
From: Damon Haley @ 2012-06-11 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> And I dont see how this addresses the main issue which was multiple
>>> users for the same smtp machine e.g multiple google accounts.
>>
>> It's further explained in the Message manual.
>
> Aha, possibly an example would help others.
>
> e.g I have posting style lines of
>
>  (X-Message-SMTP-Method "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 rileyrg")
>
> and
>
>  (X-Message-SMTP-Method "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 shamrockirishbar")
>
> the corresponding auth lines in my auth-email.gpg are:-
>
> ,----
> | machine smtp.gmail.com login rileyrg port 587 password pass1
> | machine smtp.gmail.com login shamrockirishbar port 587 pass2
> `----

Thanks for the example(s) Richard and Lars.

It's working great for me now too. Since, I store my emacs configs
through git on multiple machines, it will give me piece of mind now to
not have my smtp passwords in a plain text .msmtprc file anymore.

Plus, it's just cooler to have one less OS dependency when running emacs
where msmtp is not available.

This feature as well as Emacs 24.1 were my two most anticipated FOSS
wish list items for the year.

Damon

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-06-12 11:58           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-06-12 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Damon Haley <dkh@member.fsf.org> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>>> It's further explained in the Message manual.
>>
>> Aha, possibly an example would help others.
>>
>> e.g I have posting style lines of
>>
>>  (X-Message-SMTP-Method "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 rileyrg")
>>
>> and
>>
>>  (X-Message-SMTP-Method "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 shamrockirishbar")
>>
>> the corresponding auth lines in my auth-email.gpg are:-
>>
>> ,----
>> | machine smtp.gmail.com login rileyrg port 587 password pass1
>> | machine smtp.gmail.com login shamrockirishbar port 587 pass2
>> `----
>
> Thanks for the example(s) Richard and Lars.
>
> It's working great for me now too. Since, I store my emacs configs
> through git on multiple machines, it will give me piece of mind now to
> not have my smtp passwords in a plain text .msmtprc file anymore.
>
> Plus, it's just cooler to have one less OS dependency when running emacs
> where msmtp is not available.
>
> This feature as well as Emacs 24.1 were my two most anticipated FOSS
> wish list items for the year.
>
> Damon

If you put this into your gnus-posting-style for the "base" group make
sure you nil it in other groups or it'll be sent as a header!

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-06-12 12:09           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-06-12 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Damon Haley <dkh@member.fsf.org> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>>> It's further explained in the Message manual.
>>
>> Aha, possibly an example would help others.
>>
>> e.g I have posting style lines of
>>
>>  (X-Message-SMTP-Method "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 rileyrg")
>>
>> and
>>
>>  (X-Message-SMTP-Method "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 shamrockirishbar")
>>
>> the corresponding auth lines in my auth-email.gpg are:-
>>
>> ,----
>> | machine smtp.gmail.com login rileyrg port 587 password pass1
>> | machine smtp.gmail.com login shamrockirishbar port 587 pass2
>> `----
>
> Thanks for the example(s) Richard and Lars.
>
> It's working great for me now too. Since, I store my emacs configs
> through git on multiple machines, it will give me piece of mind now to
> not have my smtp passwords in a plain text .msmtprc file anymore.
>
> Plus, it's just cooler to have one less OS dependency when running emacs
> where msmtp is not available.

any solution involving storing cleartext passwords is not good : this is
why Ive been anticipating this for a long while - its so nice to have my
pwds in a gpg file.

Even my non gnus stuff uses auth files now utilising the following function
example:-

,----
| (setq twittering-username (nth 0 (auth-source-user-and-password
| "twitter")))
`----

(auth stuff is pretty overwhelmingly complex! )

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-12-23 12:49             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-12-23 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:58:43 +0200 Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> e.g I have posting style lines of
>>>
>>> (X-Message-SMTP-Method "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587 rileyrg")

RR> If you put this into your gnus-posting-style for the "base" group make
RR> sure you nil it in other groups or it'll be sent as a header!

I think Gnus should have special code to remove this from the article to
be posted.  It should never be sent out to the world IMHO.

Ted

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-12-24 20:11               ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-12-24 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> RR> If you put this into your gnus-posting-style for the "base" group make
> RR> sure you nil it in other groups or it'll be sent as a header!
>
> I think Gnus should have special code to remove this from the article to
> be posted.  It should never be sent out to the world IMHO.

Looking at the code, it looks like Message removes the header
unconditionally.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2012-12-24 20:14               ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-12-24 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> RR> If you put this into your gnus-posting-style for the "base" group make
> RR> sure you nil it in other groups or it'll be sent as a header!
>
> I think Gnus should have special code to remove this from the article to
> be posted.  It should never be sent out to the world IMHO.

Oh, you mean from news messages?  Yes, that should be done.

Fixed now.

@ 2012-12-31 12:01                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-12-31 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 21:14:08 +0100 Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

RR> If you put this into your gnus-posting-style for the "base" group make
RR> sure you nil it in other groups or it'll be sent as a header!
>>
>> I think Gnus should have special code to remove this from the article to
>> be posted.  It should never be sent out to the world IMHO.

LI> Oh, you mean from news messages?  Yes, that should be done.

LI> Fixed now.

Nice, thanks!

Ted

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2013-01-06  1:05                 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2013-01-06  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 21:14:08 +0100, Lars wrote:

>> I think Gnus should have special code to remove this from the article to
>> be posted.  It should never be sent out to the world IMHO.

> Oh, you mean from news messages?  Yes, that should be done.

How about X-Gnus-Delayed:?

To reproduce:

 * Create a new article, use C-c C-j to delay posting it
 * Go to the delayed queue, edit the article with e
 * Post it immediately (didn't want the delay anyway) using C-c C-c

The X-Gnus-Delayed: header is sent.

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "American cars are ugly because American car                 Adam Sjøgren
  companies are run by people with bad taste."           asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Multiple smtp
@ 2013-08-01 22:22                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-01 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

> How about X-Gnus-Delayed:?
>
> To reproduce:
>
>  * Create a new article, use C-c C-j to delay posting it
>  * Go to the delayed queue, edit the article with e
>  * Post it immediately (didn't want the delay anyway) using C-c C-c
>
> The X-Gnus-Delayed: header is sent.

I've now added that header to `message-ignored-news-headers', which
should delete it.

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php

* Re: multiple smtp
@ 2007-09-24 15:02   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2007-09-24 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar; +Cc: ding

>> Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:
>> Can I have more than one SMTP servers in my gnus.el ? I need one for
>> each email account.

Simon> Would setting a buffer local variable specifying the mail server
Simon> address, possibly using Gnus posting styles, work?

What I do is set gnus-posting-styles to set my outgoing email address
based on the group.

Then I set message-send-mail-function to a function that looks at the
message's From header and sends the mail appropriately.  A snippet:

    (cond
     ((string-equal tjt-from-addr "tromey@peakpeak")
      (let* ((user-mail-address "tromey@peakpeak.com")
	     (smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.peakpeak.com")
	     (smtpmail-smtp-service 25)
	     (smtpmail-smtp-server smtpmail-default-smtp-server)
	     ;; FC5 and FC6 try to load netrc.el -- but this isn't installed
	     (smtpmail-auth-credentials nil)
	     (smtpmail-starttls-credentials nil))
	(smtpmail-send-it)))

One nice thing about this approach is that I can edit my email address
in the message before sending it, and the right thing will happen.

However, overall this is reasonably unpleasant.  Adding a new address
means a new posting style and a new stanza in the send function.

Tom

* Re: multiple smtp
@ 2007-09-24 13:36 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2007-09-24 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar; +Cc: ding

Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:

> Hello,
>
>   Can I have more than one SMTP servers in my gnus.el ? I need one for
>   each email account.
>
>   This is what I have right now:
>
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>       smtpmail-smtp-server "mixandgo.ro"
>       smtpmail-auth-credentials
>       '(("mixandgo.ro" 25 "cezar@mixandgo.ro" "myPassHere")))

Would setting a buffer local variable specifying the mail server
address, possibly using Gnus posting styles, work?

* multiple smtp
@ 2007-09-17 10:01 Cezar