* Switching between nnimap and nnmaildir?
@ 2011-06-10 18:32 lee
From: lee @ 2011-06-10 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

gnus is accessing my emails via IMAP (courier-imapd), with the emails
stored in maildir format. What would happen if I was to switch back and
forth between nnimap and nnmaildir select methods, accessing the same
maildir folders either way?

Will it have any bad effects when accessing the same emails with other
IMAP clients, or with other MUAs (like mutt) that access the maildir
folders directly?

* Re: Switching between nnimap and nnmaildir?
@ 2011-06-13 16:34 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-06-13 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:32:19 +0200 lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

l> gnus is accessing my emails via IMAP (courier-imapd), with the emails
l> stored in maildir format. What would happen if I was to switch back and
l> forth between nnimap and nnmaildir select methods, accessing the same
l> maildir folders either way?

l> Will it have any bad effects when accessing the same emails with other
l> IMAP clients, or with other MUAs (like mutt) that access the maildir
l> folders directly?

It should be OK, except custom Gnus flags may not be preserved.  No mail
will be lost unless you delete messages or set up expiry.

Try it, making a backup of the Maildir first to be sure.

Ted