* org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
       [not found] ` <FBA00F24-6991-4305-918C-FBE06BC011CA@gmail.com>
@ 2010-11-26 18:20   ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-11-26 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

I'm looking for help in running Gnus with nnimap, and org-mode, across
multiple machines.

When reading my email in Gnus (using nnimap off Gmail), I create tasks
from any given message by using orgp-mode's capture feature. A TODO gets
created with a hyperlink that, on clicking, takes me back to the
relevant email in Gnus. That's all cool.

But I'd like to be able to use that setup from multiple machines.

My current setup uses DropBox. It is tolerable for the org-mode side of
things, but fragile. I keep my org files on DropBox, so those are
visible to all machines. But I have to remember to make sure all org
files are saved becore I move from one machine to another. As I say,
tolerable, but fragile.

For the Gnus side, originally I did the same thing, with all the
relevant Gnus files (newsrc's, bbd stuff, etc) being on DropBox too.
But that's even more fragile, because I don't explicitly control the
saving of files.

One option would be to sync only the org-mode files through DropBox, and
just do what I'd do with any other IMAP email client, and rely on the
server side info to keep mutliple clients "in sync". That's
the whole point of IMAP in the first place. But then I'm guessing the
hyperlinking of org-mode tasks to Gnus messages would break (with links
being valid only on the machine where they were created).

Anyone else doing this kind of thing?

Tommy

* Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-11-26 18:35     ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2010-11-26 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> One option would be to sync only the org-mode files through DropBox, and
> just do what I'd do with any other IMAP email client, and rely on the
> server side info to keep mutliple clients "in sync". That's
> the whole point of IMAP in the first place. But then I'm guessing the
> hyperlinking of org-mode tasks to Gnus messages would break (with links
> being valid only on the machine where they were created).

Can you show us what an org-mode hyperlink looks like?  I.e. what
information does it store?  nnimap uses the IMAP server UIDs as article
numbers, so those will be the same for the different instances of Gnus.
So I'm guessing it will work, as long as you give the server the same
name in Gnus on the two machines.

Dan

* Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-11-26 18:53       ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-11-26 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:
> Can you show us what an org-mode hyperlink looks like?

Here's the link to your reply to me:

[[gnus:gmane.emacs.gnus.general#87tyj4x798.fsf@uwo.ca][Email from Dan Christensen: Re: org-mode gnus integration ]]

The [[ ][ ]] combination lets org-mode render it so that you see only
the description portion and it is displayed as a clickable
link. Clicking (or executing C-c C-o) will move you to the message in
Gnus.

The reason I assumed there would be a problem is that even if I simply
*move* a Gnus article from one group to another, that breaks the link. I
got the impression that article labeling is very localized.

@ 2010-11-26 19:40         ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2010-11-26 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> Here's the link to your reply to me:
>
> [[gnus:gmane.emacs.gnus.general#87tyj4x798.fsf@uwo.ca][Email from Dan Christensen: Re: org-mode gnus integration ]]

Since this stores the group name and the message-id, it should work across
different Gnus sessions.

> The reason I assumed there would be a problem is that even if I simply
> *move* a Gnus article from one group to another, that breaks the
> link.

That makes sense, since the link refers to the group.

I believe the Gnus registry can keep track of the message ID --> group
mapping, so org-mode could use this if the article isn't found in the
expected group and the user has the registry enabled.

I don't use org-mode or the registry, so I'll let others respond if
there are further questions.

Dan

* Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-12-01 18:41     ` e20100633
From: e20100633 @ 2010-12-01 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

Hello,

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> I'm looking for help in running Gnus with nnimap, and org-mode, across
> multiple machines.
>
> When reading my email in Gnus (using nnimap off Gmail), I create tasks
> from any given message by using orgp-mode's capture feature. A TODO gets
> created with a hyperlink that, on clicking, takes me back to the
> relevant email in Gnus. That's all cool.

I'm sorry I have no answers for you, but I'm very interested by your way
of using org-mode TODO's to point on emails with gnus. Can you take a
minute to describe it please ?

I'm a kind of newbie, so is it possible for you to tell precisely what
you're doing ? Besides, I have to say that I know how org-mode and gnus
are working, but I don't get how you point automagically a mail you are
reading in an org-file. Thank you very much.

Regards,

--
~ #ID: e20100633 <e20100633()inbox!lv> #TEL: 9-8M 4554
~ TYPE 1707-A3 S/N L3-M2812 SLACKWARE 13.0 RLU #527034

* Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-12-01 22:55       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-01 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e20100633; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, ding

e20100633 <e20100633@inbox.lv> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:
>
>> I'm looking for help in running Gnus with nnimap, and org-mode, across
>> multiple machines.
>>
>> When reading my email in Gnus (using nnimap off Gmail), I create tasks
>> from any given message by using orgp-mode's capture feature. A TODO gets
>> created with a hyperlink that, on clicking, takes me back to the
>> relevant email in Gnus. That's all cool.
>
> I'm sorry I have no answers for you, but I'm very interested by your way
> of using org-mode TODO's to point on emails with gnus. Can you take a
> minute to describe it please ?
>
> I'm a kind of newbie, so is it possible for you to tell precisely what
> you're doing ? Besides, I have to say that I know how org-mode and gnus
> are working, but I don't get how you point automagically a mail you are
> reading in an org-file. Thank you very much.
>
> Regards,

Basically, when reading an email (in gnus, in wl, in other emacs MUAs
possibly), type "C-c l" (org-store-link) which will /store/ a link to
that email ("store" is the wrong word, in my view; it should arguably be
"make" or "create" or "define" or ... but that's neither here nor
there).  You can then put that link in an org file with "C-c C-l RET"
(org-store-link, accepting the default which should be the last link you
stored).

If you later open the link (C-c C-o, org-open-at-point), it should start
up gnus and show you that email.  I switched from wl to gnus partly
because this procedure works marginally better in gnus than in wl.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.162.g8e74)

* Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-12-01 23:44         ` e20100633
From: e20100633 @ 2010-12-01 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> e20100633 <e20100633@inbox.lv> writes:
>>
>> I'm sorry I have no answers for you, but I'm very interested by your way
>> of using org-mode TODO's to point on emails with gnus. Can you take a
>> minute to describe it please ?
>>
>>[snip (6 lines)]
>
> Basically, when reading an email (in gnus, in wl, in other emacs MUAs
> possibly), type "C-c l" (org-store-link) which will /store/ a link to
> that email ("store" is the wrong word, in my view; it should arguably be
> "make" or "create" or "define" or ... but that's neither here nor
> there).  You can then put that link in an org file with "C-c C-l RET"
> (org-store-link, accepting the default which should be the last link you
> stored).
>
> If you later open the link (C-c C-o, org-open-at-point), it should start
> up gnus and show you that email.  I switched from wl to gnus partly
> because this procedure works marginally better in gnus than in wl.

Awesome, thank you very much for you help. I was thinking it'll be more
complecated to get it work, but it's actually very easy.

Regards,

--
~ #ID: e20100633 <e20100633()inbox!lv> #TEL: 9-8M 4554
~ TYPE 1707-A3 S/N L3-M2812 SLACKWARE 13.0 RLU #527034
------------------------------------------------{,_,">
Pour se faire la main, Dieu créa un imbécile. Ensuite,
il créa tout un conseil d'université.    -- Mark Twain

* Re: Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-12-02  1:32         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-12-02  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: e20100633, emacs-orgmode, ding

> e20100633 <e20100633@inbox.lv> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'm looking for help in running Gnus with nnimap, and org-mode, across
>>> multiple machines.
>>>
>>> When reading my email in Gnus (using nnimap off Gmail), I create tasks
>>> from any given message by using orgp-mode's capture feature. A TODO gets
>>> created with a hyperlink that, on clicking, takes me back to the
>>> relevant email in Gnus. That's all cool.
>>
>> I'm sorry I have no answers for you, but I'm very interested by your way
>> of using org-mode TODO's to point on emails with gnus. Can you take a
>> minute to describe it please ?
>>
>> I'm a kind of newbie, so is it possible for you to tell precisely what
>> you're doing ? Besides, I have to say that I know how org-mode and gnus
>> are working, but I don't get how you point automagically a mail you are
>> reading in an org-file. Thank you very much.
>>
>> Regards,
>
> Basically, when reading an email (in gnus, in wl, in other emacs MUAs
> possibly), type "C-c l" (org-store-link) which will /store/ a link to
> that email ("store" is the wrong word, in my view; it should arguably be
> "make" or "create" or "define" or ... but that's neither here nor
> there).  You can then put that link in an org file with "C-c C-l RET"
> (org-store-link, accepting the default which should be the last link you
> stored).
>
> If you later open the link (C-c C-o, org-open-at-point), it should start
> up gnus and show you that email.  I switched from wl to gnus partly
> because this procedure works marginally better in gnus than in wl.

I use capture mode for this.  While reading an email I create a new TODO
task with C-M-r t which gives me this:

,----
| * TODO <cursor is here>
| [2010-12-01 Wed 20:23]
| [[gnus:nntp%2Bnews.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.orgmode#87zkspksr2.fsf@ucl.ac.uk][Email from Eric S. Fraga: Re: {Orgmode} Re: org-mode gnu]]
`----

and I normally enter something like 'Reply to Eric' as the TODO task and
file it with C-c C-c.

Later I can open the link with C-c C-o on the headline or from the
agenda to get back to the gnus mail or news article directly.

My todo capture template looks like this:

,----
| (setq org-capture-templates (quote (("t" "todo" entry (file "~/git/org/refile.org") "* TODO %?
|   %U
|   %a" :clock-in t :clock-resume t))))
`----

(extracted from http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Capture)

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: org-mode gnus integration across two machines when using nnimap
@ 2010-12-02  7:24           ` e20100633
From: e20100633 @ 2010-12-02  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

Hello,

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> I use capture mode for this.  While reading an email I create a new TODO
> task with C-M-r t which gives me this:
>
> [snip (13 lines)]
>
> ,----
> | (setq org-capture-templates (quote (("t" "todo" entry (file "~/git/org/refile.org") "* TODO %?
> |   %U
> |   %a" :clock-in t :clock-resume t))))
> `----

Very interesting, thank you very much. I think I'm gona rebind the C-M-r
t key ; I'll never remember this combo...

BTW, I have to tell you I'm a fan of your howtos on norang.ca ; you
helped me so much in my every day work with them. I missed somehow this
trick for org-capture-templates in your public html files, and probably
some others... I read them when I was just starting using org-mode ; I
have to re-read all of this :)

Regards,

--

@ 2010-12-14 23:07           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-12-14 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:40:18 -0500 Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> wrote:

DC> Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:
>> Here's the link to your reply to me:
>>
>> [[gnus:gmane.emacs.gnus.general#87tyj4x798.fsf@uwo.ca][Email from Dan Christensen: Re: org-mode gnus integration ]]

DC> Since this stores the group name and the message-id, it should work across
DC> different Gnus sessions.

>> The reason I assumed there would be a problem is that even if I simply
>> *move* a Gnus article from one group to another, that breaks the
>> link.

DC> That makes sense, since the link refers to the group.

DC> I believe the Gnus registry can keep track of the message ID --> group
DC> mapping, so org-mode could use this if the article isn't found in the
DC> expected group and the user has the registry enabled.

Yes, but it can fail (it doesn't catch external moves and the user can
limit the registry size to save memory).  See nnregistry.el for an
example of how to use `gnus-refer-article-method' with the registry.  So
maybe the org-mode Gnus integration can use gnus-refer-article-method,
if it doesn't already, and let the user decide if the registry should be
part of the refer search path.

Ted