* Mail unread : imap
@ 2010-12-11 21:50 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-12-11 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

Has something changed recently which would alter the read status of
mail?

My gnus email is read in gnus, my imap applet reports they are read and
then offlineimap or something sees them as unread again - and gnus sees
them them as unread once more.

(gnus<->localdovecot<->offlineimap<->gmail)

The setup has worked fine (except for nnml) for ages and this only
started today after a gnus git pull.

--
☘ http://www.shamrockirishbar.com, http://splash-of-open-sauce.blogspot.com/ http://www.richardriley.net

* Re: Mail unread : imap
@ 2010-12-13  3:28 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-13  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Has something changed recently which would alter the read status of
> mail?
>
> My gnus email is read in gnus, my imap applet reports they are read and
> then offlineimap or something sees them as unread again - and gnus sees
> them them as unread once more.
>
> (gnus<->localdovecot<->offlineimap<->gmail)

Huh.  Another marks problem involving offlineimap.  Does offlineimap
expect anything special in relation to other IMAP servers?

> The setup has worked fine (except for nnml) for ages and this only
> started today after a gnus git pull.

Was this the first time you've used the new nnimap?

* Re: Mail unread : imap
@ 2010-12-13 19:37   ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2010-12-13 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Huh.  Another marks problem involving offlineimap.  Does offlineimap
> expect anything special in relation to other IMAP servers?

Offlineimap does not sync any of the custom flags that Gnus uses
(unless you patch it to do so).

Dan

* Re: Mail unread : imap
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-13 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> Offlineimap does not sync any of the custom flags that Gnus uses
> (unless you patch it to do so).

Hm.  Well, that sucks, but \Seen marks shouldn't go AWOL...

* Re: Mail unread : imap
@ 2010-12-13 21:31     ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2010-12-13 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Huh.  Another marks problem involving offlineimap.  Does offlineimap
>> expect anything special in relation to other IMAP servers?
>
> Offlineimap does not sync any of the custom flags that Gnus uses
> (unless you patch it to do so).
>
> Dan

Reminded me of something I stumbled over not so long ago, seems to do
just that (haven't tried it myself):

http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: Mail unread : imap
@ 2010-12-14  0:07       ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2010-12-14  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:

> Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:
>
>> Offlineimap does not sync any of the custom flags that Gnus uses
>> (unless you patch it to do so).
>
> Reminded me of something I stumbled over not so long ago, seems to do
> just that (haven't tried it myself):
>
> http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html

Thanks, that's good too have in the archive.  Once a patch I've
submitted to offlineimap is generally available, it'll be even easier
for users to get this to work.

While we're on the topic:  has anyone started using dsync to synchronize
two dovecot servers?  It should be able to be faster and handle all
flags, but I haven't tried it yet.

Dan