* nnmaildir problem still there
@ 2002-09-30 18:08 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-09-30 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  It seems that nnmaildir is messing article counting in
  last week snapshots ; nnmaildir seems to count as unread
  some articles that have been read.

  Is anyone experiencing such a problem?

  Thanks in advance.

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org

* Re: nnmaildir problem still there
@ 2002-09-30 19:24 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-09-30 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) wrote:
>   It seems that nnmaildir is messing article counting in
>   last week snapshots ; nnmaildir seems to count as unread
>   some articles that have been read.
>
>   Is anyone experiencing such a problem?

Yes.  This is (at least partly) the same old problem of Gnus
overestimating the number of articles when there are holes in the
article range.  Such holes are more likely now that nnmaildir stores
article numbers persistently.  There seems to be more to it, but I'm
not sure what yet.  AFAICT, nnmaildir is reporting correct data to
Gnus, but in some cases, Gnus still overestimates even when there are
no holes.

paul

* Re: nnmaildir problem still there
@ 2002-09-30 19:42   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-09-30 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) wrote:
>>   It seems that nnmaildir is messing article counting in
>>   last week snapshots ; nnmaildir seems to count as unread
>>   some articles that have been read.
>>
>>   Is anyone experiencing such a problem?
>
> Yes.  This is (at least partly) the same old problem of Gnus
> overestimating the number of articles when there are holes in the
> article range.  Such holes are more likely now that nnmaildir stores
> article numbers persistently.  There seems to be more to it, but I'm
> not sure what yet.  AFAICT, nnmaildir is reporting correct data to
> Gnus, but in some cases, Gnus still overestimates even when there are
> no holes.

  What's the cure Doc' ?

  Thanks.

--