* Emphasizing text when composing mails?
@ 2023-12-14 14:58 Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2023-12-14 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

Gnus has the feature to display some words with a different
face if they are bracketed with certain characters (*bold*,
/italic/, _underline_).

Is there a command for the opposite direction when composing
mails, i. e. I write a paragraph, I want to mark up "for
example" as bold, so I select those words as a region, M-x
some-gnus-or-emacs-command, and the text changes to "*for*
*example*"?

Org does not appear to have a function for this, and
markdown-insert-bold of markdown-mode
(https://jblevins.org/projects/markdown-mode/) uses doubled
characters ("**bold**").

TIA,
Tim

* Re: Emphasizing text when composing mails?
@ 2023-12-19 11:04 ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2023-12-19 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Landscheidt; +Cc: ding

On 14 December 2023 14:58 Tim Landscheidt, wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Gnus has the feature to display some words with a different
> face if they are bracketed with certain characters (*bold*,
> /italic/, _underline_).
>
> Is there a command for the opposite direction when composing
> mails, i. e. I write a paragraph, I want to mark up "for
> example" as bold, so I select those words as a region, M-x
> some-gnus-or-emacs-command, and the text changes to "*for*
> *example*"?

This is the difference between Gnus' Message mode (for writing) and its
Article mode (for reading). No idea if it possible to add display
features from Article mode to Message mode.

To know more about the Gnus mode you're in: M-x describe-mode (or C-?
and possibly others)

* Re: Emphasizing text when composing mails?
@ 2023-12-19 15:49   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-12-19 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Gijs Hillenius wrote:

>> Gnus has the feature to display some words with a different
>> face if they are bracketed with certain characters (*bold*,
>> /italic/, _underline_).
>>
>> Is there a command for the opposite direction when
>> composing mails, i. e. I write a paragraph, I want to mark
>> up "for example" as bold, so I select those words as
>> a region, M-x some-gnus-or-emacs-command, and the text
>> changes to "*for* *example*"?
>
> This is the difference between Gnus' Message mode (for
> writing) and its Article mode (for reading). No idea if it
> possible to add display features from Article mode to
> Message mode.

It should work, but doesn't,

;; regexp from gnus-art.el line 7878, Emacs 29.0 Gnus 5.13
(font-lock-add-keywords 'message-mode
 '(
   ("['`‘]\\([a-z][a-z0-9]+-[a-z]+\\)['’]"  (1 font-lock-reference-face))
   )
 t)

--
underground experts united