* Re: Mail layout and fonts
       [not found]     ` <mglieg$at8$1@solani.org>
@ 2015-04-15 13:26       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-04-15 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wednesday, 15 Apr 2015 at 11:35, invalid wrote:

[...]

> I've been working in IT since it was called DP and before there were things
> like email or HTML. Since the first sad day HTML was used in email I have
> never had anybody complain about me responding to HTML email with a text
> email. If I had to guess I would bet this is because the people who use HTML
> emailers are too dumb to have any idea what they're doing and are also
> incapable of detecting whether some piece of mail they get is in ASCII text
> form or not.

I have had the same experience.  I'm in an organisation that uses
Outlook throughout and I've yet to have anybody complain that my emails
are somehow not correct.  I have had the odd person remark on my not
top-posting but this has nothing to do with HTML.

As an aside, I've been using email since the days when UUCP was used to
transfer emails by phone line from one Unix system to another ;-)  Does
anybody else here remember the ! email addressing?

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 25.0.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-bdeb602

* Re: Mail layout and fonts
@ 2015-04-17 18:15         ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2015-04-17 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Apr 15 2015,Eric S Fraga wrote:

[snipped 18 lines]

> As an aside, I've been using email since the days when UUCP was used to
> transfer emails by phone line from one Unix system to another ;-)  Does
> anybody else here remember the ! email addressing?

bang paths? No. elm/pine on vt100 was my start.

 sivaram

* Re: Mail layout and fonts
@ 2015-04-17 19:45         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2015-04-17 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 14:26:11 +0100 Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

ESF> I have had the same experience.  I'm in an organisation that uses
ESF> Outlook throughout and I've yet to have anybody complain that my emails
ESF> are somehow not correct.  I have had the odd person remark on my not
ESF> top-posting but this has nothing to do with HTML.

I basically use Markdown in text e-mails and people get it.  But I do
tend to work with the kind of people that get it, anyway :)  Call it
selection bias.

ESF> As an aside, I've been using email since the days when UUCP was used to
ESF> transfer emails by phone line from one Unix system to another ;-)  Does
ESF> anybody else here remember the ! email addressing?

Oh yes.

Ted

* Re: Mail layout and fonts
       [not found] <86d237w74m.fsf@epita.fr>
@ 2015-04-14  8:37 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-04-14  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tuesday, 14 Apr 2015 at 08:34, flav@epita.fr wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using gnus for read and send my mails.
> I try to compose mail with a little layout and fonts enhancement.
> I read the manuel (C-h m i gnus) and I look on the web.
> But I did not find.
> I think a must change the mime type of the email but I am not so sure.

Sending email in gnus uses the message mode which is text
only.  However, there are some functions out there for creating HTML
versions of your emails, which is what I think you are asking for.  The
one I use (very infrequently but when I need to send a table of data
mostly) is org-mime-htmlize which uses org layout for the
formatting.  It is a contributed package for org so it may or may not be
part of your emacs.

You can find out more about org at http://orgmode.org/

Of course, you should ask yourself why you need to use layout and fonts
enhancement...  it's seldom necessary, in my opinion.

HTH,
eric