* gmane, and follow up via news rather than mail.
@ 2004-03-19 11:26 Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2004-03-19 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have moved over to using gmane for my mailing lists, rather than
getting them myself, which is extremely nice in a number of ways.

The one problem I have is that I generally want to follow up on a
message by posting back through gmane, not by responding directly to the
list (and getting told that I am not subscribed any longer).

`S N' works, but is a lot more cumbersome than the 'F' or 'R' that I
have grown used to for both mail and normal usenet news.

I am sure there is something I can do to configure this so that I follow
up by news, not email, by default, but I can't find it.

Can someone embarrass me by pointing out the section of the manual where
it gives those very simple instructions?

Thanks,
        Daniel

--
Learning takes place by discovery, not when you're told something but
when you figure it out for yourself.

* Re: gmane, and follow up via news rather than mail.
@ 2004-03-19 16:55 ` Andrew A. Raines
From: Andrew A. Raines @ 2004-03-19 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> I have moved over to using gmane for my mailing lists, rather
> than getting them myself, which is extremely nice in a number of
> ways.

Indeed.

> `S N' works, but is a lot more cumbersome than the 'F' or 'R'
> that I have grown used to for both mail and normal usenet news.

What about F doesn't work?  I use it all the time.

--
    aaraines@pobox.com (Andrew A. Raines)

* Re: gmane, and follow up via news rather than mail.
@ 2004-03-20  0:37   ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2004-03-20  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Andrew A. Raines wrote:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>
>> I have moved over to using gmane for my mailing lists, rather
>> than getting them myself, which is extremely nice in a number of
>> ways.
>
> Indeed.
>
>> `S N' works, but is a lot more cumbersome than the 'F' or 'R'
>> that I have grown used to for both mail and normal usenet news.
>
> What about F doesn't work?  I use it all the time.

Hrm.  How odd.  It worked here, replying by news, but in another gmane
group it wanted to reply by email.  That is ... odd.

Maybe something else caused it to pick up group parameters or something.

I thought it should work, which is why I was very surprised.  At least
now I know that it is something else causing the problem, and not that
`F' is doing the wrong thing...

Thanks,
        Daniel

--
To know anything well involves a profound sensation of ignorance.
        -- John Ruskin, _Modern Painters_

* Re: gmane, and follow up via news rather than mail.
@ 2004-03-20  8:03     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2004-03-20  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Andrew A. Raines wrote:
>> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

[...]

>>> `S N' works, but is a lot more cumbersome than the 'F' or 'R'
>>> that I have grown used to for both mail and normal usenet news.
>>
>> What about F doesn't work?  I use it all the time.

[...]

> Maybe something else caused it to pick up group parameters or
> something.

...and, for those listening in the audience, it was.

I have `gnus-mailing-list-insinuate' in `gnus-article-prepare-hook', to
pick up mailing list settings for me automatically.  This is nice in
mail groups, but does not play nicely with gmane.

     Daniel

--
A wonderful discovery, psychoanalysis.
Makes quite simple people feel they're complex.