* Starting gnus with desktop-mode
@ 2021-05-21 15:29 Valtteri Vuorikoski
From: Valtteri Vuorikoski @ 2021-05-21 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I use desktop-mode to save the state of my emacs "desktop". However,
gnus is not relaunched if it was active when the desktop was saved. I
tried adding gnus-group-mode to desktop-buffer-mode-handlers but this
had no apparent effect.

Search engines mostly hit questions about gnus and desktop
notifications and I couldn't find anything about this. Does anyone
have suggestions?

I'm running gnus shipped with GNU Emacs 27.2.50 (build 1,
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2021-05-09.

 -Valtteri

* Re: Starting gnus with desktop-mode
@ 2022-11-16  4:30 ` TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2022-11-16  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@notcom.org> writes:

> I use desktop-mode to save the state of my emacs "desktop". However,
> gnus is not relaunched if it was active when the desktop was saved. I
> tried adding gnus-group-mode to desktop-buffer-mode-handlers but this
> had no apparent effect.
>
> Search engines mostly hit questions about gnus and desktop
> notifications and I couldn't find anything about this. Does anyone
> have suggestions?
>
> I'm running gnus shipped with GNU Emacs 27.2.50 (build 1,
> x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2021-05-09.
>
>  -Valtteri

I realize the message is old, but I have been reading back through the
archive (in reverse chronological order), and it looks like you never
received an answer.

My thoughts are that Gnus likely pre-dates `desktop-mode' and also works
by way of some quite unique (archaic?) functionality.  She's a strange
(and wonderful!) beast, at least that's my current point of view.

Anyway, I think that Gnus likely requires some special handling for your
use-case.  But maybe you figured that out by now.

Cheers,
TRS-80

* Re: Starting gnus with desktop-mode
@ 2022-11-17 19:27   ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2022-11-17 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TRS-80; +Cc: ding

TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> writes:

> My thoughts are that Gnus likely pre-dates `desktop-mode' and also works
> by way of some quite unique (archaic?) functionality.  She's a strange
> (and wonderful!) beast, at least that's my current point of view.
>
> Anyway, I think that Gnus likely requires some special handling for your
> use-case.  But maybe you figured that out by now.

I think this could be done by adding handlers for Gnus to
desktop-buffer-mode-handlers.

For example this is how it could be done for Elfeed:
;; Desktop Save

(defun elfeed-search-desktop-save (_desktop-dirname)
  "Save the state of the current elfeed-search buffer so that it
  may be restored as part of a saved desktop. Also save the state
  of the db for when `desktop-auto-save-timeout' is enabled."
  (elfeed-db-save)
  elfeed-search-filter)

;;;###autoload
(defun elfeed-search-desktop-restore (_file-name _buffer-name search-filter)
  "Restore the state of an elfeed-search buffer on desktop restore."
  (elfeed)
  (elfeed-search-set-filter search-filter)
  (current-buffer))

;;;###autoload
(add-to-list 'desktop-buffer-mode-handlers
             '(elfeed-search-mode . elfeed-search-desktop-restore))

Source:
https://github.com/groks/elfeed/commit/6f3d4fbd08cad4648f51bff1c74b533bc4177939

Of course doing that Gnus is probably a bit more complicated.

Br,

Björn