* more verbose expiry?
@ 2011-06-28 19:42 George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2011-06-28 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Is it possible for the expiry process to give more details?

I have populated

nnmail-fancy-expiry-targets

so that when I "E" articles e.g. in my gmail INBOX and then expire the
group, some of those marked E go to the trash, while others go
(hopefully) to more appropriate destinations (for example, any mail
to-from my wife goes to a particular folder). So I use expiry for
archiving.

For the most part, this works fine for me.

But the report given in the *Messages* buffer is not useful for tracking
down any misconfigurations; e.g. this is typical:

Expiring articles...
Expiring article INBOX:19736
Expiring article INBOX:19737
Expiring article INBOX:19741
Expiring articles...done

I wonder how hard it would be to have those *Messages* say more?  Could
they indicate for each article what the outcome of the expiration
process was (i.e. the destination folder)?  And maybe give more
human-identifiable info about the expired articles than their numbers?

(Or maybe this is already possible and I've overlooked some
configuration option...?)

--
George McNinch <gmcninch(at)gmail.com>
http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu

* Re: more verbose expiry?
@ 2011-06-30  2:43 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-06-30  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible for the expiry process to give more details?

I've now added this to nnmail.

* Re: more verbose expiry?
@ 2011-06-30 11:23   ` George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2011-06-30 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    >> Is it possible for the expiry process to give more details?

    Lars> I've now added this to nnmail.

Thanks!

--

@ 2011-07-02 14:11   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-02 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Wed Jun 29 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is it possible for the expiry process to give more details?
>
> I've now added this to nnmail.

Will that work for George?  He's presumably using nnimap to access
gmail.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: more verbose expiry?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-02 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

>> I've now added this to nnmail.
>
> Will that work for George?  He's presumably using nnimap to access
> gmail.

Sorry; I meant nnimap, not nnmail.