From: Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>
Subject: Incorrect charset decoding in random articles...
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:15:41 +1100	[thread overview]

A while ago on the list various people including myself encountered a
problem where Gnus would mis-detect the character set of various
messages.

Anything forwarded as a message/rfc822 attachment or inline seems to
trigger this, as do various messages at random.

The problem is that the article is decoded as some far east character
set, presenting as a mixed collection of ideograms[1] and '?'
characters.

Some but not all of the articles seemed to have broken[2] charset
specification, such as 'charset=us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf8'

Others, though, had no MIME detail at all or they had a correct charset
specification.

I can't remember what the solution at the time was, though I believe a
code change was involved. Maybe Simon Josefsson did it? My memories are
hazy as it was over three months ago.

Anyway, I tried searching the list archives and my local one but didn't
find the details I was looking for.

I am running "21.5  (beta3) \"asparagus\" XEmacs Lucid"
on Linux inanna 2.4.15-pre5 #1 Sat Nov 17 01:38:23 EST 2001 i686 unknown

I can forward a selection of the mis-displayed messages in addition to
the attached one if you wish.