From: stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
Cc: gnus list <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: slow checking for new mail
Date: 08 Sep 1997 13:27:05 -0500	[thread overview]

> stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org> writes:
>
> > Ok... so I wrote a bit about this before--it's really really slow for
> > me to check for new mail.  I have about 80 nnml groups, nfs mounted,
> > which are priority 1.  when i punch 1 g, it takes about 10-15 seconds
> > to incorperate new mail (even if only 1 new email).
>
> If you have lots of level 1 nnml groups, `1 g' will be slow.  nnml
> checks each group seperately in these cases.

nah--it's _really_ checking the nnmh groups (either that or checking
nnmh groups with thousands of files in them takes no time, which I
consider highly unlikely).  The key point is that it takes just as
long to check "1 g" as it does to check "g", where "g" gets a couple
of dozen nntp groups, a couple of dozen nnmh groups (with thousands of
entries), and ~ 50-100 nnml groups.

Gnus v5.4.64; nntp 5.0; nnml 1.0; nnmh 1.0

--

Steve Farrell