From: "David Kågedal" <davidk@lysator.liu.se>
Subject: Re: slow checking for new mail
Date: 08 Sep 1997 16:07:57 +0200	[thread overview]

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@cygnus.com> writes:

> People not using POP wouldn't notice, because it would translate to
> (maybe) one movemail invocation, and 99 stat calls that find that the
> incoming mail file is zero length; since there's no mail to fetch,
> movemail isn't run after the first time.

It's still slow. I use nnfolder, and have around 60 mail groups är 40
news groups. When I press "2 g", it hase to go through all of them,
even if only one or two of them needs to be updated. Looking at the
mail spool manually and guessing what folder needs updating, and then
pressing M-g on that group is infinitely faster.

--
David Kågedal     Lysator Academic Computer Society       davidk@lysator.liu.se
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/                              +46-13 17 65 89