* IMAP and Exchange issues possible bug cause
@ 2012-11-15 23:23 Matt Ford
From: Matt Ford @ 2012-11-15 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

A whilst back I posted a thread about how things broke for me using
Exchange folders over a certain number of messages.

I truncated my folder and things worked beautifully again - unread
counts, flags, and the agent.

Of course my mail box has grown since then and I hit the same problems
(of course forgetting why I truncated all that time ago).

After some more digging I wonder if this is the reason:

http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/3459

Now Microsoft acknowledges it's a bug in the server, but the work around
implemented by Mutt means that they don't have to rely on Exchange
admins applying patches (which I'm guessing mine haven't).  And given
the number of people having problems with Exchange a lot aren't.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2494798

What does GNUs do?  Does it use "chunking" for fetching messages, can I
configure it to?
--
Matt

* Re: IMAP and Exchange issues possible bug cause
@ 2012-11-15 23:33 ` Matt Ford
From: Matt Ford @ 2012-11-15 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Here's the subject of the original thread in case people are interested.

Subject: 4266 is the 666 of the IMAP world (retrieval issues and odd
behaviours)

Out of interest Is there any easy way to link to a previous thread?
--

@ 2012-11-16  7:56   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-16  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Out of interest Is there any easy way to link to a previous thread?

On the web http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/81670

In Gnus, you could also use
 nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/81670

Put the cursor on that URL, and click RET to go to the article, then
`A T' to see the entire thread it's part of (procedure untested, I will
try it myself when this article appears).

* Re: IMAP and Exchange issues possible bug cause
@ 2012-11-16  9:03     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-16  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Out of interest Is there any easy way to link to a previous thread?

> On the web http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/81670

> In Gnus, you could also use
>  nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/81670

> Put the cursor on that URL, and click RET to go to the article, then
> `A T' to see the entire thread it's part of (procedure untested, I will
> try it myself when this article appears).

Yep.  This procedure worked like a charm.

* Re: IMAP and Exchange issues possible bug cause
@ 2012-11-16  9:06   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-16  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Here's the subject of the original thread in case people are interested.
> Subject: 4266 is the 666 of the IMAP world (retrieval issues and odd
> behaviours)

In the last article of that thread
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/81670/focus=81691
 nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/81691
Lars asked you for some debug output from nnimap.

Did you ever get back to him on that?

* Re: IMAP and Exchange issues possible bug cause
@ 2012-11-16 11:15       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-16 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Interesting! Is there an easy way to create that kind of nntp hyperlink
> to a message, from within gnus itself?

Not automatically, but I did it without moving out of Gnus.

Here's how I did it:
 - In the Group buffer, did `G G' on top of the gmane.emacs.gnus.general
   group
 - The minibuffer prompted with "Query:", and I responded with
   "4266 is the 666 of the IMAP world" (without the quotes)
 - Moved to the start of the thread in the results buffer, and did
   `C-u g' on top of that article
 - Searched for "archive" (without the quotes) and found the following header

Then I doctored the URL in that header to become
 nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/81670
and

@ 2012-11-16 11:41     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-11-16 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> Out of interest Is there any easy way to link to a previous thread?
>
> On the web http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/81670
>
> In Gnus, you could also use
>  nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/81670
>
> Put the cursor on that URL, and click RET to go to the article, then
> `A T' to see the entire thread it's part of (procedure untested, I will
> try it myself when this article appears).

Interesting! Is there an easy way to create that kind of nntp hyperlink
to a message, from within gnus itself?

Eric

* Re: IMAP and Exchange issues possible bug cause
@ 2012-11-16 12:35     ` Matt Ford
From: Matt Ford @ 2012-11-16 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm afraid I didn't.  By the time he asked for it I'd all ready
truncated my Inbox.  And I've done the same again this time  :-(

Can't live without email even for a short time.

Apologies.
--

@ 2012-11-16 13:33       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-16 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'm afraid I didn't.  By the time he asked for it I'd all ready
> truncated my Inbox.  And I've done the same again this time  :-(

Might be an idea to grab the data of the buffer he suggested, the next
time it happens, and just save it to a file.

* Re: IMAP and Exchange issues possible bug cause
@ 2012-11-16 15:39         ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2012-11-16 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>  - Moved to the start of the thread in the results buffer, and did
>    `C-u g' on top of that article

You can also use `t' (gnus-summary-toggle-header) to display all
headers.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: IMAP and Exchange issues possible bug cause
@ 2012-11-16 16:36           ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-11-16 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> You can also use `t' (gnus-summary-toggle-header) to display all
> headers.

Indeed.  Far more convenient.

Learn something new, every day...:-)

* Re: IMAP and Exchange issues possible bug cause
@ 2012-11-17  2:21             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-11-17  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> You can also use `t' (gnus-summary-toggle-header) to display all
>> headers.
>
> Indeed.  Far more convenient.
>
> Learn something new, every day...:-)

Same here, thanks!

I guess that wasn't quite "automatic", but close enough!

* Re: IMAP and Exchange issues possible bug cause
@ 2012-12-25 12:38 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-12-25 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Ford; +Cc: ding

Matt Ford <matt@dancingfrog.co.uk> writes:

> http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/3459
>
> Now Microsoft acknowledges it's a bug in the server, but the work around
> implemented by Mutt means that they don't have to rely on Exchange
> admins applying patches (which I'm guessing mine haven't).  And given
> the number of people having problems with Exchange a lot aren't.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2494798
>
> What does GNUs do?  Does it use "chunking" for fetching messages, can I
> configure it to?

nnimap could use chunking fetches for Microsoft Exchange.  What's the
"welcome banner" when you connect to an Exchange IMAP server?

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: IMAP and Exchange issues possible bug cause
@ 2012-12-25 12:43   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-12-25 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Ford; +Cc: ding

> Matt Ford <matt@dancingfrog.co.uk> writes:
>
>> http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/3459

[...]

> nnimap could use chunking fetches for Microsoft Exchange.  What's the
> "welcome banner" when you connect to an Exchange IMAP server?

Is the bug just when doing 1:*, or when doing fetches like this, too?

167 UID FETCH 17779:17816,17818:17821,17823:17841,17843:17865,17867:17916 (UID RFC822.SIZE BODYSTRUCTURE BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (Subject From Date Message-Id References In-Reply-To Xref To Newsgroups Cc)]).

nnimap does this when fetching headers on group entry, for instance.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen