* BBDB integration - add sender in Summary buffer
@ 2010-12-16 17:57 Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2010-12-16 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

In the Gnus info files it says about bbdb:

"If you want to add a sender to the BBDB you can also just hit `:' on the
posting in the summary buffer and you are done."

This doesn't work for me; ':' is bound to bbdb/gnus-show-sender and as
the sender is not in bbdb, it shows nothing. Using bbdb-create is
bothersome because all fields have to be entered manually.

Is there a way to, from the Summary buffer, insert a selected record in
the bbdb?

(I am using bbdb 3.01)

Thanks

--
Johnny

* Re: BBDB integration - add sender in Summary buffer
@ 2010-12-16 18:43 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-16 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: ding

Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

Hi!

> "If you want to add a sender to the BBDB you can also just hit `:' on
> the posting in the summary buffer and you are done."
>
> This doesn't work for me; ':' is bound to bbdb/gnus-show-sender and as
> the sender is not in bbdb, it shows nothing.

Hm, for me, hitting `:' on your message pops up a BBDB buffer showing
you, and till now, you were not in my BBDB.  So that adding should be
done automatically, and in fact, that's my experience since I use
Gnus/BBDB since about 8 years ago...

What bbdb version do you use?  Mine is 2.35.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: BBDB integration - add sender in Summary buffer
@ 2010-12-16 19:43   ` Johnny
       [not found]     ` <qh62uta46w.fsf@news.eternal-september.org>
From: Johnny @ 2010-12-16 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: ding

> Hm, for me, hitting `:' on your message pops up a BBDB buffer showing
> you, and till now, you were not in my BBDB.  So that adding should be
> done automatically, and in fact, that's my experience since I use
> Gnus/BBDB since about 8 years ago...

Hmm, I may be trying to use BBDB in the wrong way... I was intending to
use it as an address book and store only some select, well known e-mail
addresses (i.e. like a standard mail client address book). So I disabled
the automatic addition of most records in BBDB by setting
bbdb-accept-message-alist quite restrictive.

However, sometimes I get a message from an address not in the acceptlist
and I would like to manually tell BBDB to add this in the same way as it
would happen if it was on the acceptlist.

Can this be achieved, or is this a bad idea? E.g. if adding all
addresses, how would one efficiently find the "core" addresses? Or does
people use custom fields for grouping such as "private", "work" etc.?

> What bbdb version do you use?  Mine is 2.35.

I am using BBDB 3.01, the rewrite by Roland Winkler.

Thanks!

--

@ 2010-12-16 19:46     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <qh62uta46w.fsf@news.eternal-september.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-16 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: ding

Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

> Hmm, I may be trying to use BBDB in the wrong way... I was intending
> to use it as an address book and store only some select, well known
> e-mail addresses (i.e. like a standard mail client address book).

I'm using it that way, too.

> So I disabled the automatic addition of most records in BBDB by
> setting bbdb-accept-message-alist quite restrictive.

I don't even have that variable!

>> What bbdb version do you use?  Mine is 2.35.
>>
> I am using BBDB 3.01, the rewrite by Roland Winkler.

Ah, I see.  Then I cannot help you, sorry.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: BBDB integration - add sender in Summary buffer
@ 2010-12-16 20:27       ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2010-12-16 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: ding

> I'm using it that way, too.

Ok, maybe I got some concepts almost right after all ...

> I don't even have that variable!

I am pretty sure this is identical to bbdb-ignore-most-messages-alist.

> Ah, I see.  Then I cannot help you, sorry.

I am not sure the issue is the version, alas it could be... Thanks anyhow!

--

@ 2010-12-16 20:50       ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2010-12-16 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Where did you download this from? I google but couldnt find the code -
> only posts about it.

The project is on Savannah,
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb.

--

@ 2010-12-16 21:10         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-16 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny; +Cc: ding

Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

> I am not sure the issue is the version, alas it could be... Thanks
> anyhow!

I'd be interested in testing the new BBDB.  Where can I get it.  Google
finds only Roland's BBDB vs. BADB thread with an attachment, but where
is the SCM repository?  Is it the BBDB CVS on sf.net?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: BBDB integration - add sender in Summary buffer
@ 2010-12-16 21:29           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-12-16 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:10:46 +0100 Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

TH> Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:
>> I am not sure the issue is the version, alas it could be... Thanks
>> anyhow!

TH> I'd be interested in testing the new BBDB.  Where can I get it.  Google
TH> finds only Roland's BBDB vs. BADB thread with an attachment, but where
TH> is the SCM repository?  Is it the BBDB CVS on sf.net?

It seems like the http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb CVS repo is
it, because Roland's ChangeLog from 2010-12-15 changes are there.

I asked on the BBDB mailing list about packaging Roland's BBDB 3.x for
Emacs.  So you should be able, when and if that happens, to just use
package.el from a fresh Emacs install to install it as "bbdb3."

Ted

* Re: BBDB integration - add sender in Summary buffer
@ 2010-12-17  7:01             ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-17  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Hi Ted,

> It seems like the http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb CVS repo is
> it, because Roland's ChangeLog from 2010-12-15 changes are there.

Yep.  Who uses CVS these days?!?

> I asked on the BBDB mailing list about packaging Roland's BBDB 3.x for
> Emacs.  So you should be able, when and if that happens, to just use
> package.el from a fresh Emacs install to install it as "bbdb3."

Great!

Bye,
Tassilo