* spam spltting my sys emails
@ 2010-10-05 12:32 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-10-05 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

Using this set up

   (setq nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
   (setq nnimap-split-methods 'default)
   (setq nnmail-split-fancy (quote (: spam-split)))
   (setq nnmail-split-methods (quote nnmail-split-fancy))

combined with

,----
| spam-split-group is a variable defined in `spam.el'.
| Its value is "Gnus-Spam"
|
| Documentation:
| Group name where incoming spam should be put by `spam-split'.
`----

I have a select method for nnml which processes var/spool/mail mbox and
usually used to put them in mail.misc group in the nnml-directory
(~/Mail).

Now its determining that all my sys emails from cron etc are spam and
refiling them to spam-split-group, Gnu-Spam. How to stop that?

My nnml group looks like this after using command line "mail" to send an
email from root to myself:-

,----
| Z      1: Gnus-Spam <-- spam splitting created this
|        0: mail.misc
|        1: sys-mail     ;<--- I created this group manually moving a message
`----

Where Gnus-Spam has been newly created by the spam-splitting I assume.

So how to tell the spam-split assigned to nnmail-split-fancy to ignore
the nnml feed?

* Re: spam spltting my sys emails
@ 2010-10-05 13:12 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-10-05 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 14:32:29 +0200 Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:

RR> Using this set up

RR>    (setq nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
RR>    (setq nnimap-split-methods 'default)
RR>    (setq nnmail-split-fancy (quote (: spam-split)))
RR>    (setq nnmail-split-methods (quote nnmail-split-fancy))

Ouch.  Are you sure you want spam-split to be the only determinant of
where mail goes?  I would at least provide a default destination at the
end.

RR> combined with

RR> ,----
RR> | spam-split-group is a variable defined in `spam.el'.
RR> | Its value is "Gnus-Spam"
RR> |
RR> | Documentation:
RR> | Group name where incoming spam should be put by `spam-split'.
RR> `----

RR> I have a select method for nnml which processes var/spool/mail mbox and
RR> usually used to put them in mail.misc group in the nnml-directory
RR> (~/Mail).

RR> Now its determining that all my sys emails from cron etc are spam and
RR> refiling them to spam-split-group, Gnu-Spam. How to stop that?

It depends entirely on your spam.el configuration.  Some backend has
decided those e-mails are spam.  You need to either check *Messages* or
debug each of your spam backends one by one.

RR> My nnml group looks like this after using command line "mail" to send an
RR> email from root to myself:-

RR> ,----
RR> | Z      1: Gnus-Spam <-- spam splitting created this
RR> |        0: mail.misc
RR> |        1: sys-mail     ;<--- I created this group manually moving a message
RR> `----

RR> Where Gnus-Spam has been newly created by the spam-splitting I assume.

Yes, the messages will be spooled to the group and it's created if
necessary.

RR> So how to tell the spam-split assigned to nnmail-split-fancy to ignore
RR> the nnml feed?

You need to customize your nnimap-split-methods to a function which
overrides spam-split-group and nnmail-split-fancy (the variable) and
calls nnmail-split-fancy (the function).  I posted an example just the
other day.

Ted

* Re: spam spltting my sys emails
@ 2010-10-05 13:18 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-10-05 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>    (setq nnimap-inbox "INBOX")

Why isn't this the default nnimap-inbox value?  The INBOX has a special
meaning on an nnimap server, and having the above as default should work
everywhere.

* Re: spam spltting my sys emails
@ 2010-10-05 13:27   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-10-05 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 15:18:17 +0200 Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

>> (setq nnimap-inbox "INBOX")

SB> Why isn't this the default nnimap-inbox value?  The INBOX has a special
SB> meaning on an nnimap server, and having the above as default should work
SB> everywhere.

Lars wants to keep that off until he's done hacking on nnimap.  I
mentioned it just the other day, too :)

Ted

* Re: spam spltting my sys emails
@ 2010-10-05 13:38   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-10-05 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 14:32:29 +0200 Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> RR> Using this set up
>
> RR>    (setq nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
> RR>    (setq nnimap-split-methods 'default)
> RR>    (setq nnmail-split-fancy (quote (: spam-split)))
> RR>    (setq nnmail-split-methods (quote nnmail-split-fancy))
>
> Ouch.  Are you sure you want spam-split to be the only determinant of
> where mail goes?  I would at least provide a default destination at the
> end.

I'm not sure I follow you. nnml has a default destination : nnml-directory.

> RR> combined with
>
> RR> ,----
> RR> | spam-split-group is a variable defined in `spam.el'.
> RR> | Its value is "Gnus-Spam"
> RR> |
> RR> | Documentation:
> RR> | Group name where incoming spam should be put by `spam-split'.
> RR> `----
>
> RR> I have a select method for nnml which processes var/spool/mail mbox and
> RR> usually used to put them in mail.misc group in the nnml-directory
> RR> (~/Mail).
>
> RR> Now its determining that all my sys emails from cron etc are spam and
> RR> refiling them to spam-split-group, Gnu-Spam. How to stop that?
>
> It depends entirely on your spam.el configuration.  Some backend has
> decided those e-mails are spam.  You need to either check *Messages* or
> debug each of your spam backends one by one.

I have one. spam-use-bogofilter.

> RR> My nnml group looks like this after using command line "mail" to send an
> RR> email from root to myself:-
>
> RR> ,----
> RR> | Z      1: Gnus-Spam <-- spam splitting created this
> RR> |        0: mail.misc
> RR> | 1: sys-mail ;<--- I created this group manually moving a message
> RR> `----
>
> RR> Where Gnus-Spam has been newly created by the spam-splitting I assume.
>
> Yes, the messages will be spooled to the group and it's created if
> necessary.

Yes. But I dont want this group processed for Spam since it would be a
major hurdle to tell spam-split these are not spam. Or?

> RR> So how to tell the spam-split assigned to nnmail-split-fancy to ignore
> RR> the nnml feed?
>
> You need to customize your nnimap-split-methods to a function which
> overrides spam-split-group and nnmail-split-fancy (the variable) and
> calls nnmail-split-fancy (the function).  I posted an example just the
> other day.
>
> Ted

Or I guess, simply dont set the globals and pass the spam processing
values as part of the select method for the nnimap selects only (these
are the only ones I want to spam split).

* Re: spam spltting my sys emails
@ 2010-10-05 14:57     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-10-05 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 15:38:41 +0200 Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:

RR> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 14:32:29 +0200 Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
RR> Using this set up
>>
RR> (setq nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
RR> (setq nnimap-split-methods 'default)
RR> (setq nnmail-split-fancy (quote (: spam-split)))
RR> (setq nnmail-split-methods (quote nnmail-split-fancy))
>>
>> Ouch.  Are you sure you want spam-split to be the only determinant of
>> where mail goes?  I would at least provide a default destination at the
>> end.

RR> I'm not sure I follow you. nnml has a default destination : nnml-directory.

I didn't know (I don't use nnml-directory).  For nnimap, at least, I
would provide a default.

RR> Now its determining that all my sys emails from cron etc are spam and
RR> refiling them to spam-split-group, Gnu-Spam. How to stop that?
>>
>> It depends entirely on your spam.el configuration.  Some backend has
>> decided those e-mails are spam.  You need to either check *Messages* or
>> debug each of your spam backends one by one.

RR> I have one. spam-use-bogofilter.

...so check bogofilter from the command line and see if it thinks the
mail is spam.  If so, that's the problem.

In a spam group like Gnus-Spam, set the ham-exit-processor to bogofilter
(use `G c' to customize this stuff, I forget the exact syntax).  Then in
the group you can tick the non-spam articles with `!' and when you exit
the group, they'll be processed as ham (non-spam).

You can also do it manually from the command line.

RR> So how to tell the spam-split assigned to nnmail-split-fancy to ignore
RR> the nnml feed?
>>
>> You need to customize your nnimap-split-methods to a function which
>> overrides spam-split-group and nnmail-split-fancy (the variable) and
>> calls nnmail-split-fancy (the function).  I posted an example just the
>> other day.

RR> Or I guess, simply dont set the globals and pass the spam processing
RR> values as part of the select method for the nnimap selects only (these
RR> are the only ones I want to spam split).

That would work too.

Ted

* Re: spam spltting my sys emails
@ 2010-10-05 15:24     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-10-05 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> (setq nnimap-inbox "INBOX")

SB> Why isn't this the default nnimap-inbox value?  The INBOX has a special
SB> meaning on an nnimap server, and having the above as default should work
SB> everywhere.

> Lars wants to keep that off until he's done hacking on nnimap.

Ah, Ok.

> I mentioned it just the other day, too :)

I noticed.  I just saw an opportinity to AOL it...:-)