* Some unpleasant experiences recently
@ 2002-06-03 20:49 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-06-03 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  I'm using the Oort Gnus daily CVS snapshot and I experienced
  some troublesome effects recently. Mostly from last Thursday
  snapshot.

  - My .newsrc.eld suddenly lost its content so I lost my topic
    configuration and my message indexes
  - Sometimes some mail subjects in the Summary buffer refer to
    a wrong message, i.e. the pointed message has a different
    sender and an unrelated content.

  Please note that I'm using nnmaildir for my mailboxen.

  Has anyone had the same kind of troubles ?

  Thanks.

  Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org

* Re: Some unpleasant experiences recently
@ 2002-06-03 20:55 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-06-03 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) wrote:
>   - Sometimes some mail subjects in the Summary buffer refer to
>     a wrong message, i.e. the pointed message has a different
>     sender and an unrelated content.

This is probably due to a bug in nnmaildir (article numbers change
between Gnus sessions), but the bug normally doesn't cause trouble as
long as you don't use the cache or agent with nnmaildir groups.  The
agent was recently turned on by default; in theory, it shouldn't have
affected you, but maybe it did anyway.  If you're not intentionally
using the agent, try this in .gnus: (setq gnus-agent nil)

paul

* Re: Some unpleasant experiences recently
@ 2002-06-03 22:16 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-03 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) writes:

> Hi,
>
>   I'm using the Oort Gnus daily CVS snapshot and I experienced
>   some troublesome effects recently. Mostly from last Thursday
>   snapshot.
>
>   - My .newsrc.eld suddenly lost its content so I lost my topic
>     configuration and my message indexes
>   - Sometimes some mail subjects in the Summary buffer refer to
>     a wrong message, i.e. the pointed message has a different
>     sender and an unrelated content.
>
>   Please note that I'm using nnmaildir for my mailboxen.
>
>   Has anyone had the same kind of troubles ?

Paul is right, but out of curiosity, do you use nnmaildir as your
primary select method, or have manually enrolled the nnmaildir server
with the agent?  That would be the only explanation for the behaviour
unless there is a bug in Oort.

* Re: Some unpleasant experiences recently
@ 2002-06-04  1:56   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2002-06-04  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) wrote:
>>   - Sometimes some mail subjects in the Summary buffer refer to
>>     a wrong message, i.e. the pointed message has a different
>>     sender and an unrelated content.
>
> This is probably due to a bug in nnmaildir (article numbers change
> between Gnus sessions), but the bug normally doesn't cause trouble as
> long as you don't use the cache or agent with nnmaildir groups.  The
> agent was recently turned on by default; in theory, it shouldn't have
> affected you, but maybe it did anyway.  If you're not intentionally
> using the agent, try this in .gnus: (setq gnus-agent nil)

I saw this without any nnmaildir, and switching gnus-agent off does not
bring the lost .newsrc stuff back. You need to resubscribe and catch-up
manually, or so it seemed to me.

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: Some unpleasant experiences recently
@ 2002-06-04  5:24   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-06-04  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I'm using the Oort Gnus daily CVS snapshot and I experienced
>>   some troublesome effects recently. Mostly from last Thursday
>>   snapshot.
>>
>>   - My .newsrc.eld suddenly lost its content so I lost my topic
>>     configuration and my message indexes
>>   - Sometimes some mail subjects in the Summary buffer refer to
>>     a wrong message, i.e. the pointed message has a different
>>     sender and an unrelated content.
>>
>>   Please note that I'm using nnmaildir for my mailboxen.
>>
>>   Has anyone had the same kind of troubles ?
>
> Paul is right, but out of curiosity, do you use nnmaildir as your
> primary select method, or have manually enrolled the nnmaildir server
> with the agent?  That would be the only explanation for the behaviour
> unless there is a bug in Oort.

  I'm using nnmaildir as a primary select method.

  Cheers,

--

@ 2002-06-04  5:29   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-06-04  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) wrote:
>>   - Sometimes some mail subjects in the Summary buffer refer to
>>     a wrong message, i.e. the pointed message has a different
>>     sender and an unrelated content.
>
> This is probably due to a bug in nnmaildir (article numbers change
> between Gnus sessions), but the bug normally doesn't cause trouble as
> long as you don't use the cache or agent with nnmaildir groups.  The
> agent was recently turned on by default; in theory, it shouldn't have
> affected you, but maybe it did anyway.  If you're not intentionally
> using the agent, try this in .gnus: (setq gnus-agent nil)

  That was it! Before I turned it off, Gnus was confused at all and
  your message appeared to be sent by Kai in the Summary.

  Once I turned it off, threads are displayed correctly with the
  correct sender.

  Thanks for the hint.

  Cheers,

--

@ 2002-06-04  5:31     ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-06-04  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>
>> jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) wrote:
>>>   - Sometimes some mail subjects in the Summary buffer refer to
>>>     a wrong message, i.e. the pointed message has a different
>>>     sender and an unrelated content.
>>
>> This is probably due to a bug in nnmaildir (article numbers change
>> between Gnus sessions), but the bug normally doesn't cause trouble as
>> long as you don't use the cache or agent with nnmaildir groups.  The
>> agent was recently turned on by default; in theory, it shouldn't have
>> affected you, but maybe it did anyway.  If you're not intentionally
>> using the agent, try this in .gnus: (setq gnus-agent nil)
>
> I saw this without any nnmaildir, and switching gnus-agent off does not
> bring the lost .newsrc stuff back. You need to resubscribe and catch-up
> manually, or so it seemed to me.

  OK. I'll see if it is necessary.

  Cheers,

--