* utf7.el
@ 2001-11-04 17:56 Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2001-11-04 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I see utf7.el lying around in the lisp directory.  Can this be used
for decoding utf-7 messages without using Mule-UCS?

Cheers, Ray
--
Linux is like a wigwam:  no Windows, no Gates, Apache inside

* Re: utf7.el
@ 2001-11-04 18:20 ` Jon K Hellan
From: Jon K Hellan @ 2001-11-04 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond Scholz <ray-2001@zonix.de> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I see utf7.el lying around in the lisp directory.  Can this be used
> for decoding utf-7 messages without using Mule-UCS?

I wrote it to support international characters in IMAP mailbox
names. There is a switch to choose between the UTF-7 variant used in
mailbox names and the normal UTF-7 used for messages (which is
different).

When I wrote it, there was no Unicode support in Emacs, so I only
implemented conversion to and from iso-8859-1. Integrating with gnus
for displaying message is probably not hard, but for my part, I don't
know exactly how gnus handles character sets.

Performance is likely to be poor since this is low level character
manipulation written in elisp. That's no problem for mailbox names,
but could be for messages.

Regards

Jon Kåre