* Gnus 5.9.0?
@ 2001-10-22 20:11 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2001-10-22 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

What's the relationship between gnus 5.8.8, the most recent that I can find on
any of the gnus.org servers, and 5.9.0 which apparently ships with Emacs 21.1?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | "Abstraction, abstraction and
http://nwalsh.com/            | abstraction." This is the answer to the
                              | question, "What are the three most
                              | important words in programming?"--Paul
                              | Hudak

* Re: Gnus 5.9.0?
@ 2001-10-22 20:23 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 2001-10-22 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>  on Mon, 22 Oct 2001
| What's the relationship between gnus 5.8.8, the most recent that I can
| find on any of the gnus.org servers, and 5.9.0 which apparently ships
| with Emacs 21.1?

Read the etc/NEWS file that ships with Emacs 21.  It will list all changes
since whatever shipped with 20.whatever.
--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ accelerate to dangerous speeds.

* Re: Gnus 5.9.0?
@ 2001-10-22 20:42   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2001-10-22 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> was heard to say:
| * Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>  on Mon, 22 Oct 2001
| | What's the relationship between gnus 5.8.8, the most recent that I can
| | find on any of the gnus.org servers, and 5.9.0 which apparently ships
| | with Emacs 21.1?
|
| Read the etc/NEWS file that ships with Emacs 21.  It will list all changes
| since whatever shipped with 20.whatever.

That's not really the point (and the NEWS entries for Gnus aren't that
enlightening). The point is, where did 5.9.0 come from and how is it
different from 5.8.8? Should I stop using 5.8.8 in favor of 5.9.0?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | It is good to have an end to journey
http://nwalsh.com/            | toward; but it is the journey that
                              | matters, in the end.--Ursula K. Le Guin

* Re: Gnus 5.9.0?
@ 2001-10-22 21:16 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-22 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> What's the relationship between gnus 5.8.8, the most recent that I
> can find on any of the gnus.org servers, and 5.9.0 which apparently
> ships with Emacs 21.1?

I think they are quite similar.  Maybe 5.9 is missing a couple of
files (the contrib directory comes to mind).  Maybe 5.9 has more
bugfixes than 5.8.8, maybe less, maybe just a different set.

I guess they are close enough that you can just use cvs to diff the
5.9 branch against the 5.8.8 release.

I'd say to use 5.9 if you can and to use 5.8.8 as a substitute or if
one of the minor changes is important.

kai
--
Lisp is kinda like tpircstsoP

* Re: Gnus 5.9.0?
@ 2001-10-22 23:10   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2001-10-22 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Norman Walsh, ding

> Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
>
>> What's the relationship between gnus 5.8.8, the most recent that I
>> can find on any of the gnus.org servers, and 5.9.0 which apparently
>> ships with Emacs 21.1?
>
> I think they are quite similar.  Maybe 5.9 is missing a couple of
> files (the contrib directory comes to mind).  Maybe 5.9 has more
> bugfixes than 5.8.8, maybe less, maybe just a different set.
>
> I guess they are close enough that you can just use cvs to diff the
> 5.9 branch against the 5.8.8 release.
>
> I'd say to use 5.9 if you can and to use 5.8.8 as a substitute or if
> one of the minor changes is important.

I did a diff of gnus 5.8.8 (as downloaded from www.gnus.org) and the
emacs 5.9 as part of emacs 21.  They looked fairly similar.  Most of
the changes looked related to emacs 21 specific features (improved
help, etc.).

--
matt