* Active numbers greater than reality (nnml)
@ 2000-12-01  8:22 Morgan Fletcher
From: Morgan Fletcher @ 2000-12-01  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running gnus 5.8.7, fsf emacs 20.7.2. I have most likely screwed up my
.newsrc.eld, cache and active files over the years.

Right now, if I do C-u RET with point on my inbox nnml group, I am asked if
I want to display the default of 26300 messages. Pressing RET gets me 7997
messages. The active file reports "inbox 29749 3450 y". There are a large
number of articles marked read and expirable in the group.

I don't know what I might have done, but my nnml inbox stopped expiring a
while ago. I've gone so far as to turn on Total Expire (via G c) for that
group, but the laxative has not worked. I'm wondering if the articles are
not expiring because the Active file is off? I've tried
nnml-generate-nov-databases.

Can you offer advice?

Thanks,

morgan

* Re: Active numbers greater than reality (nnml)
@ 2000-12-02  5:06 ` Colin Walters
From: Colin Walters @ 2000-12-02  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Morgan Fletcher <morgan@hahaha.org> writes:

> Right now, if I do C-u RET with point on my inbox nnml group, I am
> asked if I want to display the default of 26300 messages. Pressing
> RET gets me 7997 messages. The active file reports "inbox 29749 3450
> y". There are a large number of articles marked read and expirable
> in the group.

The article number is different from the number of articles in the
group.  As a workaround, you should be able to mark all of the
messages with 'M P a', and then use 'B m' to move them into the same
group.

> I don't know what I might have done, but my nnml inbox stopped
> expiring a while ago. I've gone so far as to turn on Total Expire
> (via G c) for that group, but the laxative has not worked. I'm
> wondering if the articles are not expiring because the Active file
> is off? I've tried nnml-generate-nov-databases.

I'm not sure about this one; but did you verify that the files are
still there on the disk?

Maybe your 'nnmail-expiry-wait-function' is causing this?