* draft on imap?
@ 2010-10-04  3:12 Bruno Tavernier
From: Bruno Tavernier @ 2010-10-04  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Is there a way to store drafts on an IMAP server?

It is sometime useful when writing a long message or realizing that a
file to be attached is not on the current computer, etc.

I tried to do something like:
1) Write a uncomplete message and save it
2) Move/Copy from nndraft to a .draft folder on my IMAP server
3) Go to the .draft folder and gnus-article-edit
->
"gnus-article-edit: The current newsgroup does not support article editing"

Note, we circumvent the lack of editing by:
4) from .draft folder, move/copy to nndraft:drafts
5) got to nndraft:drafts and edit

That still is very dirty approach.

That would be really cool, to be able to save/edit directly from the
IMAP server. Is there any such a feature planned?

--
Bruno

* Re: draft on imap?
@ 2010-10-04 16:28 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-10-04 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:12:10 +0900 Bruno Tavernier <tavernier.bruno@gmail.com> wrote:

BT> Is there a way to store drafts on an IMAP server?
BT> It is sometime useful when writing a long message or realizing that a
BT> file to be attached is not on the current computer, etc.

BT> I tried to do something like:
BT> 1) Write a uncomplete message and save it
BT> 2) Move/Copy from nndraft to a .draft folder on my IMAP server
BT> 3) Go to the .draft folder and gnus-article-edit ->
BT> "gnus-article-edit: The current newsgroup does not support article editing"

BT> Note, we circumvent the lack of editing by:
BT> 4) from .draft folder, move/copy to nndraft:drafts
BT> 5) got to nndraft:drafts and edit

BT> That still is very dirty approach.

BT> That would be really cool, to be able to save/edit directly from the
BT> IMAP server. Is there any such a feature planned?

There's a whole lot of complicated code around drafts.  I think it would
be nice if any dedicated writeable group X (including nnimap) that
supports deletion could contain drafts, and the user could say "draft
group for this group/topic/server is X."  But there's been literally
hundreds of bugs and minor issues with nndraft over the years so I think
a full rewrite is the best way to make it work perfectly.  The point is
that such a rewrite would make drafts work with nnimap or any other
backend.

Regarding nnimap article editing, I think Lars is in vague agreement
that it's a good feature but it's not high on his priority list.  I
personally use the move-edit-move approach you suggested and look
forward to native editing.

Ted