* Marking for agent download unmarks as read
@ 2002-10-02 20:46 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-02 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why does the Agent remove `read' marks when using J # or @ to mark an
article for download?

kai

* Re: Marking for agent download unmarks as read
@ 2002-10-02 21:21 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-10-02 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Why does the Agent remove `read' marks when using J # or @ to mark an
> article for download?

I didn't look at the code, but is this unwanted behaviour?  If you
want to download the article, you don't want it marked as read, do
you?

* Re: Marking for agent download unmarks as read
@ 2002-10-03  4:36   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2002-10-03  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> Why does the Agent remove `read' marks when using J # or @ to mark an
>> article for download?

Simon> I didn't look at the code, but is this unwanted behaviour?  If
Simon> you want to download the article, you don't want it marked as
Simon> read, do you?

Yes, actually I do some of the time at least.  The way I treat many of
my folders is that I have display set to !expired, and hence I see all
the old messages.  unread in these folders really means "needs a
response", and read really means "kept around for informational
purposes, or things that I need to look at but aren't crucial".  It's
a way of prioritizing, if you want to look at it another way.  ticked
= high, unread = medium, read = low.  My work boxes, inboxes, etc are
this way and has forced expiry on it.

The problem is that when I want to go offline I actually do want
unread stuff to, but I certainly don't want the read mark to go away.

--
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will
 insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."   -- Terry Pratchett

* Re: Marking for agent download unmarks as read
@ 2002-10-03  9:57   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-03  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Why does the Agent remove `read' marks when using J # or @ to mark an
>> article for download?
>
> I didn't look at the code, but is this unwanted behaviour?  If you
> want to download the article, you don't want it marked as read, do
> you?

I want to use the Agent in order to have access to my mail when
disconnected.  I sometimes need to refer to old (already read)
messages.  So I would like the Agent to download all messages.

@ 2002-10-03 17:32 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-03 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Why does the Agent remove `read' marks when using J # or @ to mark an
> article for download?

Because the variable gnus-agent-mark-unread-after-downloaded tells it
to...  I should've guessed that there is a user option for this.

@ 2002-10-03 23:53   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2002-10-03 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai> Because the variable gnus-agent-mark-unread-after-downloaded
Kai> tells it to...  I should've guessed that there is a user option
Kai> for this.

Of course...  sigh.  Way too many variable defs to read through.

We need a "standard config set".  IE, if you want to read mail in this
fashion, start with this .gnus and if you want this fashion, start
with this other one.

--

@ 2002-10-04  6:35     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-04  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> We need a "standard config set".  IE, if you want to read mail in this
> fashion, start with this .gnus and if you want this fashion, start
> with this other one.

It won't be that simple, I'm afraid.  But Lars also wants setup
wizards.  Maybe a good first approach is to define Customize groups
which contain the variables you need for a specific scenario.

kai