* Automatically list groups with dormants, too
@ 2002-02-05 13:53 Kai Großjohann
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-05 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

The key word is "automatically".  I want Gnus to hit "A p ?" for me,
so to speak.  But the "A p" command is only good for interactive
use.  So I wrote the following function:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 301 bytes --]

Evaling (kai-gnus-group-list-plus-dormant) appears to do the right
thing.  But I couldn't find out how to have Gnus do it automatically,
whenever I hit `g' or `l'.

Help?

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: Automatically list groups with dormants, too
@ 2002-02-05 16:21 ` Matthieu Moy
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2002-02-05 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Evaling (kai-gnus-group-list-plus-dormant) appears to do the right
> thing.  But I couldn't find out how to have Gnus do it automatically,
> whenever I hit `g' or `l'.

Why not create another function, calling kai-gnus-group-list-plus-dormant
*and* fetching mail, and bound it to `g' ?

--
Matthieu

* Re: Automatically list groups with dormants, too
@ 2002-02-05 16:55 ` Ami Fischman
From: Ami Fischman @ 2002-02-05 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]
> Evaling (kai-gnus-group-list-plus-dormant) appears to do the right
> thing.  But I couldn't find out how to have Gnus do it automatically,
> whenever I hit `g' or `l'.

As _you_ suggested to me in:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=vafbskoeznd.fsf%40INBOX.tok.lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de&rnum=1
you can advise gnus-group-get-new-news to run your function.

Is this a case of a reflexive "me too" post?  It's a "you too" post :)

--
  Ami Fischman
  usenet@fischman.org

* Re: Automatically list groups with dormants, too
@ 2002-02-05 20:40   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-05 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ami Fischman <usenet@fischman.org> writes:

> Is this a case of a reflexive "me too" post?  It's a "you too" post :)

Heh :-)

As it turns out, I was too stupid to use defadvice.  Now after
correcting the errors, it works.  I advised gnus-group-list-groups as
well  as gnus-group-get-new-news.

Thanks a lot, Ami!

kai
--

@ 2002-02-05 21:07 ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2002-02-05 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kai Großjohann

Hello Kai,

    > Evaling (kai-gnus-group-list-plus-dormant) appears to do the
    > right thing. But I couldn't find out how to have Gnus do it
    > automatically, whenever I hit `g' or `l'.

What about gnus-get-new-news-hook or gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook
for `g'?

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--
=> GNU Emacs Webring @ <http://www.gnusoftware.com/WebRing/> <=
Look Ma, this man can twist his fingers as if they were made of rubber,

* Re: Automatically list groups with dormants, too
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-05 22:23 ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2002-02-05 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> The key word is "automatically".  I want Gnus to hit "A p ?" for me,
> so to speak.  But the "A p" command is only good for interactive
> use.  So I wrote the following function:
>

> (defun kai-gnus-group-list-plus-dormant ()
>   "List groups with dormant articles in them."
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (let ((gnus-group-listed-groups (gnus-group-listed-groups))
> 	  (gnus-group-list-mode gnus-group-list-mode))
>       (gnus-group-list-dormant gnus-group-default-list-level))))
>

> Evaling (kai-gnus-group-list-plus-dormant) appears to do the right
> thing.  But I couldn't find out how to have Gnus do it automatically,
> whenever I hit `g' or `l'.

Only a stone's throw away from the pet feature I've wanted for a while
(but been too lazy to code).

I'd like to be able to set a group parameter called something like
hide-until to something like 20.  Then, that group doesn't show up in
the group buffer until it has 20 new messages in it.

I'd use this for high volume mailing lists like ding.

(right now I use group levels to hide such groups, but I still get
curious and read them too frequently.  ;-))

--
matt

* Re: Automatically list groups with dormants, too
@ 2002-02-06  8:02   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-06  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

> Hello Kai,
>
>     > Evaling (kai-gnus-group-list-plus-dormant) appears to do the
>     > right thing. But I couldn't find out how to have Gnus do it
>     > automatically, whenever I hit `g' or `l'.
>
> What about gnus-get-new-news-hook or gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook
> for `g'?

I tried that but it didn't work.  I forget what happened.  Maybe an
infloop?

kai
--

@ 2002-02-06  8:32   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-06  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> writes:

> I'd like to be able to set a group parameter called something like
> hide-until to something like 20.  Then, that group doesn't show up in
> the group buffer until it has 20 new messages in it.

This is (in principle) possible via gnus-group-prepare-flat: there
you can pass a function and only those groups where the function
returns true will be listed.  The function can access the free
variable unread, which is presumably the number of unread messages in
that group.

kai
--

@ 2002-02-07 16:38     ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2002-02-07 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> writes:
>
>> I'd like to be able to set a group parameter called something like
>> hide-until to something like 20.  Then, that group doesn't show up
>> in the group buffer until it has 20 new messages in it.
>
> This is (in principle) possible via gnus-group-prepare-flat: there
> you can pass a function and only those groups where the function
> returns true will be listed.  The function can access the free
> variable unread, which is presumably the number of unread messages
> in that group.

Yeah, see my post to gnu.emacs.gnus for why this didn't satisfy me.
:-)

--
matt