Gnus development mailing list
* Bug in gnus-alias-remove-current-body?
@ 2020-02-12 17:51 Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2020-02-12 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Aloha,

I've been tracking down some odd results with gnus-alias,
which are configuration dependent but still worth a look.

All of my identities add an extra body text of "\n" (and
nothing else but that). This is to make a convenient space
between the -- after the headers and the -- before the sig.

But when I change identities mid-stream (after having entered
a partial message, say, and realizing I should be using a
different identity) this happens.

The first "\n" in my message is deleted. This is because
gnus-alias-remove-current-body is called, and it searches
forward from the top of the message text, removing the first
match for the previous 'body' addition. In other words it
removes the first blank line in my message. Not the desired
behavior. I believe gnus-alias-remove-current-body ought to
search in reverse from the bottom of the body.[1]

As an after-effect, the original "\n" (now at the bottom of
the message text) is left in place and a second "\n"
(representing the additional body text for the new identity)
is added.

Am I missing something here?

Mahalo,

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

[1] Or maybe not? I suppose it depends where the user expects
the extra body text to appear. Preamble or postamble? This
might expose a defect in the mechanism?