* emacs crashing when displaying summary
@ 2018-04-04 10:07 Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2018-04-04 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

for some times now I have seen my whole emacs crash when trying to
display certain subject lines in the summary buffer.

When displayed in thunderbird's message list, those subjects display a
huge icon, overflowing the subjects above them.

In gnus, those subject lines just reliably crash my whole emacs session.

Here is one of those lines taken from thunderbird's «view message
source» window:

Subject: =?utf-8?Q?=E2=8F=B0DERNIERS_JOURS_de_promos_pour?=
 =?utf-8?Q?_votre_nettoyage_de_printemps_!?=

In thunderbird, I have a huge alarm clock in the subject line before
«DERNIERS_JOURS». Catchy, annoying, buggy (the display is not stable,
and it overflows the subjects above), but not crashy.

I'm using gnus 5.13 from the emacs-snapshot package at
http://emacs.secretsauce.net on debian sid.

How can I help diagnose this ?

Thanks,
--
Rémi Letot

* Re: emacs crashing when displaying summary
@ 2018-04-04 15:34 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2018-04-04 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rémi writes:

> Subject: =?utf-8?Q?=E2=8F=B0DERNIERS_JOURS_de_promos_pour?=
>  =?utf-8?Q?_votre_nettoyage_de_printemps_!?=

I just decoded this line and posted an article in gmane.test with the
result, to see if I could reproduce the crash.

Viewing it doesn't crash my GNU Emacs/Gnus (built from master ~a week
ago, a140513acb), running on Debian unstable.

But the icon isn't huge either, it's more, like, tiny:

 · https://koldfront.dk/misc/gnus/alarmclock.png

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It's certainly possible to overthink such issues."          Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: emacs crashing when displaying summary
@ 2018-04-04 16:11   ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 2018-04-04 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

AS> But the icon isn't huge either, it's more, like, tiny:

It's probably font-dependent.  And any crash that results is probably in
emacs itself and not the gnus code.

I generally use emacs in a console window and I do see occasional
annoyances when people get cute with emoji and whatnot, but in general
those are bugs in either emacs or the terminal program.

 - J<

* Re: emacs crashing when displaying summary
@ 2018-04-04 22:15   ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2018-04-04 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Rémi writes:
>
>> Subject: =?utf-8?Q?=E2=8F=B0DERNIERS_JOURS_de_promos_pour?=
>>  =?utf-8?Q?_votre_nettoyage_de_printemps_!?=
>
> I just decoded this line and posted an article in gmane.test with the
> result, to see if I could reproduce the crash.
>
> Viewing it doesn't crash my GNU Emacs/Gnus (built from master ~a week
> ago, a140513acb), running on Debian unstable.
>
> But the icon isn't huge either, it's more, like, tiny:
>
>  · https://koldfront.dk/misc/gnus/alarmclock.png

Hmmm, now gmane.test crashes my emacs.

TB is graphic, probably that's why the alarm clock is big. I haven't
seen it in emacs yet :-)

I updated my emacs, but it doesn't solve the problem. Now emacs-version
gives me:

GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.29)
of 2018-04-01, unofficial emacs-snapshot build:
http://emacs.secretsauce.net

Probably a font display problem, so it's probably more emacs than gnus,
should I go to emacs' group ?

Any idea how I can tackle that problem ?

Thanks,
--

@ 2018-04-07 10:55     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2018-04-07 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rémi writes:

> I updated my emacs, but it doesn't solve the problem. Now emacs-version
> gives me:
>
> GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.29)
> of 2018-04-01, unofficial emacs-snapshot build:
> http://emacs.secretsauce.net
>
> Probably a font display problem, so it's probably more emacs than gnus,
> should I go to emacs' group ?

Sounds like a good idea.

> Any idea how I can tackle that problem ?

Can you make it crash by just pasting the icon into a buffer? By opening
a file with the icon in it? With emacs -q/-Q?

If you can reproduce it in Emacs without Gnus, I guess you'll have an
easier time getting help on emacs-devel :-)

I would guess someone would ask you to run emacs under gdb and get a
back trace, but all I know about gdb is that you can type "bt" when a
program has crashed...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Jeg har snart gennemlæst det meste af Internettet           Adam Sjøgren
  for at finde en løsning - men uden resultat..."        asjo@koldfront.dk