* moving a group from one Imap backend to another
@ 2015-02-10 14:44 Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2015-02-10 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

How can I move several groups with as minimum as possible user
interaction from one IMAP backend to another IMAP backend ?

Thanks
--
erik colson

* Re: moving a group from one Imap backend to another
@ 2015-02-13  6:57 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2015-02-13  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Colson; +Cc: ding

Erik Colson <eco@ecocode.net> writes:

> How can I move several groups with as minimum as possible user
> interaction from one IMAP backend to another IMAP backend ?

Uhm...  I don't really think there's any pre-defined command for doing
this?  But I may be wrong.

I'd just enter each group in question, process-mark all the articles and
then move/copy the articles to the other server.

* Re: moving a group from one Imap backend to another
@ 2015-02-13  8:25   ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2015-02-13  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

> I'd just enter each group in question, process-mark all the articles and
> then move/copy the articles to the other server.

Thanks Lars

That is what I was fearing... I have literally hundreds of boxes to
move. That would give me certainly a whole day of work, which would be
acceptable, except the handling looks error prone since I would switch
from actual work to Emacs and back on and on. That would most certainly
provoke a collision somewhere between my neurones ;)
--

@ 2015-02-13 16:29     ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 2015-02-13 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Colson; +Cc: ding

EC> I have literally hundreds of boxes to move.

Then Gnus is probably not the right tool.  I've moved tens of thousands
of mailboxes with imapsync, but that was before the author went stupid
with trying to make money off of it in this really weird way.  I still
have 1.217 around, which I think was really free, if you want it.  Or
someone who paid the fifty euros for it put the source up on github at
https://github.com/imapsync/imapsync  (Yes, this doesn't violate the
license, if you were curious.)

 - J<

* Re: moving a group from one Imap backend to another
@ 2015-02-24  9:38       ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2015-02-24  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason L Tibbitts III; +Cc: Erik Colson, ding

On 2015-02-13 17:29 Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Then Gnus is probably not the right tool.  I've moved tens of thousands
> of mailboxes with imapsync, but that was before the author went stupid
> with trying to make money off of it in this really weird way.  I still
> have 1.217 around, which I think was really free, if you want it.  Or
> someone who paid the fifty euros for it put the source up on github at
> https://github.com/imapsync/imapsync  (Yes, this doesn't violate the
> license, if you were curious.)

Another tool that may be of interest is isync/mbsync.  I think it allows
you to configure two IMAP servers you want to sync.  Using one
directional sync should allow you to propagate messages from one server
to the other.

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier